Wishful Thinking

Naruto's POV:

As me and Sasuke walk to the village's entrance gate to meet with the others, I can't help but think about what Sasuke told me last night at the festival. It seemed like he was still feeling the guilt of his past actions. Has he always felt that way?

I turned to look at him, as he looked straight ahead. After all these years of chasing after him, it still feels surreal to have him walking right beside me. Ever since he arrived, I felt the need to spend as much time as possible with him. I'm not sure what he plans to do after we save Hinata, but I really hope he stays this time.

He subconsciously notices me watching.

"What, loser?" He says.

"Uh...nothing!" I say, quickly turning away. He continues looking straight ahead as we walk.

I look at the ground as I walk and shove my hands in my back pockets, remembering I have the necklace in there. I quietly sigh.

Who am I kidding? Even if Sasuke stays, it wouldn't be for me. He has repeatedly shown time and time again that he doesn't feel the same way I feel for him. Why can't I just take the hint?

I take a quick glance at him before returning my gaze to the ground. I think back to 3 years ago, when me, Sakura, and Kakashi saw Sasuke after the Kage Summit.

***FLASHBACK***

I ball my fists and stare at Sasuke. I see blood dripping from one of his eyes, probably from overusing his Sharingan. I notice that there is a new pattern on it as well.

I turn to look at Sakura. If I hadn't jumped in at the right moment, Sasuke would have actually killed her. I don't know if I would've forgiven him for that. I turn back to him, facing him with an angry look. But once I pay closer attention to him, I start to understand.

He had gone off the rails. It seemed like he was going through some sort of mania. This isn't the Sasuke I know. I remember what Tobi told me. The truth about Itachi. It seems that he found out, and now wants to take out his anger on Konoha.

Sasuke stares right back at me. I could feel his cold, intent to kill just by meeting his gaze.

"I heard the truth about Itachi from some guy named Tobi," I say seriously.

Sasuke raises his eyebrows for a second, while Sakura looks at me in confusion. I continue speaking.

"I don't know for sure if what he said was really true or not. But it doesn't matter. What you've been doing is crazy, but it's....understandable," I say with a straight face.

Kakashi and Sakura both turn to me again, probably thinking I'm crazy.

Even Sasuke widens his eyes for a second, twitching his hand and unsure of what to say. But once he composes himself, he begins to laugh.

"Understandable? You don't understand a thing about me!" He shouts angrily. But he and I both know that isn't true.

"Sasuke, please! Just listen to Naruto! You don't know what he went through to find you here. He just wants to save you," Sakura cries out.

"Save me? From what, exactly? Huh?"

"From vengeance," I say.

Sasuke balls his fists. "Naruto, I've told you before. You don't have a family, so you couldn't possibly understand!"

I ignore his statement and smile. "Sasuke....do you remember? Do you remember what you said to me long ago at the Final Valley? The thing about high-level shinobi reading each other's hearts through an exchange of fists," I say, putting a hand on my chest. "Were you able...to read my heart just a few moments earlier?"

Sasuke's face softens and looks at the ground. However, it only lasts for a second, until he lifts his head up again and looks at me with anger.

"Nothing you say will change my mind, Naruto. I will kill everyone in Konoha, including you! Only way you can stop me is if you kill me first!" He shouts.

I remain calm. "If you invade Konoha, I will fight you. But until that day, keep your hate in check and throw it all at me then. You hate to admit it, but I'm the only one who can handle all that hate, ya know! I'll bear the burden of all your hate and I'll die with you!"

 You hate to admit it, but I'm the only one who can handle all that hate, ya know! I'll bear the burden of all your hate and I'll die with you!"

Taken aback, Sasuke takes a few moments to regain composure.

"God, what is it with you, Naruto? Just what the hell do you want, huh?! Why are you so fixated on me?!" He shouts.

I calmly smile again, looking him in the eye.

"Because you're my friend."

Sasuke's face softens again, releasing his balled up fists. He stares at me wide-eyed and speechless as the wind blows through his hair.

 He stares at me wide-eyed and speechless as the wind blows through his hair

I almost cry at the sight. This. This is the Sasuke I know. I pray in my head that he comes running to me and hugs me. I pray that we can return to Konoha together and eat at Ichiraku's, I'll even pay! I pray that we return to the old Team 7, where me and Sasuke continue rivaling each other and improving our skills. I even pray we go back to when Sakura continues to fawn over him while I continue trying to gain Sakura's attention. I continue praying and praying as hard as I can, because although it may have felt like wishful thinking any other time, now it feels like all of this is possible. Just from looking at his face.

But all of that hope soon disappears when that Tobi dude appears and puts a hand on Sasuke's shoulder.

"Come on Sasuke, let's go. They're not worth it," Tobi says.

Please, Sasuke! Tell him he's wrong! We are worth it! Push his hand away and come to us! Come home, Sasuke!

But Sasuke doesn't do any of that. He agrees with Tobi, and continues to stare at me as they wordlessly disappear.

I painfully watch as they disappear, feeling my heart shatter.

I guess that's all it really was. Wishful thinking.

***FLASHBACK ENDS***

It's crazy how I didn't even realize at that time that it was because I love him.

I subconsciously put my hand over my heart, remembering the pain I felt when he left that day. I don't ever want to feel that amount of pain ever again.

Wishful thinking. That's all I'm doing.

I need to stop.