Just Friends

Naruto's POV:

We eventually arrive at the abandoned village.

Shikamaru pulls out three identical small pictures from his bag. He keeps one for himself, and hands the other two to Sasuke and Sai.

"Alright, Kakashi gave us pictures of weapons and artifacts that may belong to the Ostutsuki. I asked around, and a lot of people said they saw something suspicious fly in this direction. Let's split into three groups and look around," Shikamaru says before taking out another cigarette.

Sakura quickly grabs me and shoves me in Sasuke's direction.

"You two were the ones who fought Toneri the most. It'll be quicker if you two work together and find something," Sakura says, winking at Sasuke.

Sasuke quickly looks away, pretending not to see her.

What the hell is going on between those two?

"Um..you don't have to if you don't want to," Sasuke says avoiding eye contact.

"Team up with Shikamaru instead," Kurama says.

I sigh. I contemplate following Kurama's advice when I glance at how helpless Sasuke looks. Well, if I want to get over him, I gotta be able to work with him without it being awkward...right?

"It's...fine. Sakura's right, let's work together," I say with a weak smile.

"Have fun getting your heart broken again, idiot," Kurama groans.

Surprised, Sasuke nods and leads the way as we split from the others.

What the hell did I get myself into?

~

Wishful thinking. Wishful thinking.

I continue reminding myself that as I avoid eye contact with him and continue looking for clues. There's just one problem: I don't know what the clues are, and Sasuke has the picture.

Nevertheless, I continue pretending to know what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, Sasuke sees right through me.

"Naruto, why are you looking at the trees?" Sasuke asks.

"Well, I'm...checking to see if there's any hints there, ya know!" I say with my arms crossed.

"Did you even look at the picture?" He says, not believing me.

"Of course I did!" I say, turning away from him.

We continue looking in silence for a few moments until Sasuke awkwardly clears his throat.

"Naruto...I know you've been wanting to talk to me," he says, unsure how to continue.

I stiffen as I hear this. It's unlike Sasuke to be the one to initiate uncomfortable conversations. After hearing no response, he finally continues.

"I know I've been gone for a while, and I've been purposely avoiding everything. I'm...sorry. For everything. If you want to talk to me, I'm willing to listen and answer everything, I promise," Sasuke says.

I hide my smile. He's really...trying. I put my hand in my back pocket, feeling the necklace.

Kurama scoffs. "That Uchiha doesn't even know what he's sorry for," he says.

I hear Sasuke walk towards me. "I don't blame you for not wanting to talk to me, but I'm really trying here, Naruto. I want to be a good friend."

I take my hand out of my pocket and quietly sigh. Friend. Right, of course. He's trying to be a good friend. Anything more than that is wishful thinking.