Just You Wait

Naruto's POV (cont.):

We all widen our eyes in response, except for Shikamaru, who rolls his eyes.

"Great, the international terrorist. What a drag..." Shikamaru says, facepalming himself. "Hey, since we're inviting just anyone, why don't we invite Orochimaru too? After all, they both killed Konoha officials," he continues sarcastically.

"Hey! That was different, ya know! And Sasuke isn't like that anymore," I say defensively.

"Here he goes defending his boyfriend again," Sai says. Sakura and Hinata laugh in agreement.

"He's not my boyfriend! And not you two lovebirds laughing!" I shout, pointing at Sakura and Hinata.

"W-well...me and Sakura-chan are upfront about our feelings for each other, at least," Hinata states. Sakura puts her arm around her and nods.

I'm about to retaliate when Kakashi loudly clears his throat again.

"Regardless of how you guys feel about Sasuke, it's a given fact that he had been pardoned for his crimes thanks to Naruto," he says, nodding towards me. "And after all, he did contribute a lot to the Fourth Shinobi War. If anyone is a match for the Otsutsuki, Naruto and Sasuke would be our best bet. Regardless, I expect you guys to behave like dignified shinobi and set your personal feelings aside for the sake of this mission. You are all now dismissed," he says, before picking up his book again.

As we all begin to leave, Sakura walks near us while holding Hinata's hand.

"Hey, you guys wanna come with me and Hinata to the cherry blossom festi-- Naruto!" Sakura shouts mid-sentence.

I am already halfway out the window by the time she shouts my name.

"Sorry Sakura-chan! I got to...um...go take a shower. It's been a long day, ya know!" I quickly hopped out of the building before she could press further.

"Yeah right," Shikamaru mutters, rolling his eyes.

~

I sprint as quickly as I can to my home. When I arrive, I try jumping through my window but end up hitting my head.

"Ouch..."

I make it inside and take off my ninja headband. If it wasn't for the headband, I would probably have a mark on my forehead by now. I look in the mirror and rub my forehead. I smile, thinking back to the day Sasuke left for his redemption journey.

***FLASHBACK***

I watch from a distance as Kakashi gives Sasuke a stern lecture before he finally allows him to leave. He gives both him and Sakura a final farewell before he exits the Konoha gates. I stand against the trees outside the exit, where he notices me on his way out of the village.

"I didn't think you'd come to see me off," he says.

I walk up to him, watching as the wind blew his spiky hair. Unsure of what to say, I hand over his old ninja headband from our genin days. I had held onto it for 4 years, waiting and praying for the day I'd be able to return it to him.

 I had held onto it for 4 years, waiting and praying for the day I'd be able to return it to him

"I believe this belongs to you," I say, with a serious tone.

He looks at me for a long moment, with a straight look on his face. That's the thing about Sasuke. You had to basically read his mind to know what he's thinking about. He glances at my empty right sleeve where my arm should be. His expression softens for a bit before he straightens his face again and takes the headband.

"I'll hang onto it until our next match," he says with his signature Uchiha smirk.

"Why don't you stay a little longer?" I ask, trying to stall. "Tsunade is making me another arm out of Hashirama's cells. I could ask her to make you one too, ya know."

"You all have already done so much for me. Besides, think of this as part of my redemption," he says, looking at his own empty left sleeve.

I want to argue, but I know nothing will change his mind. Instead, an idea pops in my head.

"Let me come with you," I say. I could've sworn he looked like he was contemplating it, but he quickly rejects the idea.

"I need time alone to think to myself. Also, there are a few things that worry me," he states.

"Oh," I sigh, defeated. We continue to stand and stare at each other for a few more moments before Sasuke finally begins to speak.

"Naruto, I...."

I look at him expectantly.

"...gotta go. See ya," he says, before turning around and leaving.

I facepalm myself and look down, disappointedly. Kurama laughs inside me.

"'Let me come with you?' What is this, a shoujo manga? You're so corny."

I'm about to retaliate to Kurama when I notice Sasuke had turned around and was now in front of me again. Did he forget something?

He suddenly pokes my forehead and smiles.

"Forgive me, Naruto. Maybe...next time," he says.

Without thinking, I pull him towards me and wrap him in a tight hug. He stands still in surprise, but I feel him lightly hug me back. I try my hardest to hold back the tears forming in my eyes.

"Thank you," he softly whispers into my ear.

Finally letting him go, he turns around and leaves again.

I touched the part of my forehead where he poked me, and stood there speechless. I watched as he walked further and further away from the village until he was no longer in sight, after which I returned to the gates with a stupid grin on my face.

***FLASHBACK ENDS***

I glance one last time at the mirror, touching my forehead and smiling.

"You're thinking about Sasuke again, aren't you?"

"I'm not, ya know! But anyway, so what if I was?" I say confidently.

Kurama sighs. "You know I have a bad history with Uchihas. And I still don't forgive him for trapping me in that Chibaku Tensei!"

I sigh defeatedly. I don't blame him for not trusting Uchihas, especially after being manipulated by Madara and Obito, and almost being killed by Sasuke.

"Just...give him a chance, okay?" I say while rummaging through my drawers. Finally, I found what I was looking for.

I hold up a black string necklace with a moon charm hanging from it. It might seem basic, but it was perfect, especially for someone like Sasuke. I stuffed it in my back pocket and dashed out of my window, hitting my head again.

"Okay, that definitely left a mark," I say, groaning and rubbing my head.

I continue to dash out anyways. Just you wait, Sasuke. Just you wait.