Love and Hatred

Naruto's POV (cont.)

Kumi watches in shock, shedding her own tears from the heartbreaking sight.

"He...was so good for this world...that he never felt like he deserved to be in it," she says sadly.

Toneri watches, his face mixed with surprise and guilt.

"He...protected him," Toneri says in surprise.

I turn towards Toneri, my face full of hurt and anger.

"You wanted me to experience heartbreak, right? Right?! Well here it is!"

I want to go over and release every once of chakra I have left, unleashing all my anger on him. But I can't. I can't leave Sasuke's side.

"Is this what you wanted, Father? Is this the heartbreak you felt that compelled you to kill Mother?" Kumi asks, watching his face.

Speechless, Toneri buried his face in his hands, taking it all in.

"I haven't seen a human with this much love for another person since..." he begins, starting to shed a tear.

"Answer my question," Kumi says firmly.

Toneri looks up at her, his face full of tears.

"I...never killed your mother, Kumi. I...I loved her too much for that."

Kumi widens her eyes. "Then what-"

Toneri sighs and sits on the ground.

"Our previous clan members always told us to despise humans because of what happened to our ancestor. I believed them...until I met your mother. A random ninja who wanted to explore the moon. We fell in love. She...really loved me. She became pregnant, and she was happy living on the moon forever with me. But her family...her family hated it."

His voice breaks as tears well up in his eyes. Kumi gently nods, encouraging him to finishing speaking.

He continues. "She came from a powerful ninja clan. They wanted her to go back to Earth and raise you there, but she wanted to stay on the moon with me. And so, on the day she gave birth to you they...they came here and plotted to kill me. It was a long fight and they nearly succeeded by attempting to stab me in my blind spot but...your mother. She protected me. Just like...the Uchiha just did for that boy. She died protecting me. I was heartbroken and immediately became consumed by anger and hatred. I began to understand what our previous clan members had been preaching about why humans are not to be trusted."

He wipes his tears from his eyes.

"I'm...I'm sorry Kumi. I lied about killing your mother so I could stir just as much hatred in you as I had. But you...you're special. Thankfully, you inherited all of your mother's love and none of my hatred."

Kumi sits on the ground, across from him, taking it all in.

She turns to me and Sasuke, watching us with remorse. Finally, she turns back to Toneri and smiles.

"We can still save him, you know. With your hate-filled chakra and my love-filled chakra combined, we can seal it within him and create...well, life," she says.

Toneri looks up, wide-eyed. "I'll do it, but I can't let you sacrifice yourself for my mistakes, Kumi."

Kumi smiles again. "Father, for once...I finally have a choice in what I want to do with my life. And this is my choice. To save another person from experiencing the same pain you did," she says.

I watch them, confused by what exactly they're saying, but understanding the gist of it.

Kumi walks toward me, as I'm still holding Sasuke's body.

"Make sure he doesn't pull a stunt like that again, or this will all be for nothing," she chuckles.

"I understand you want to do this, but are you...sure?" I ask Kumi.

She nods. "I got to know Sasuke for a little while as he was here with us. And he may not seem like it, but he was the purest person I ever met. He doesn't believe he deserves the happiness that you give him, but I hope giving him a second chance will help him realize that."

More tears well up in my eyes, as I turn back to look at Sasuke's pale face. All I've ever wanted was to help him realize he deserves love.

"Thank...you," I whisper to her.

Kumi kneels in front of me, looking at Sasuke's face.

"We'll do our part to seal our chakra within him, but it's up to him to decide whether he wants to take it. Pray that he realizes he deserves to live," she says.

Kumi turns back to Toneri and nods to him. She holds up a hand sign and begins absorbing Toneri's chakra, while Toneri holds up a hand sign and absorbs Kumi's chakra.

As a result, they both absorb each other's love and hatred

Toneri's face falls. "So this...is the love you felt."

Kumi smiles sympathetically. "And this is the hatred you carried."

As their blue and purple chakra combine, they both tearfully hug, finally understanding each other.

"Goodbye, Naruto." Kumi says to me, happily smiling at me for the last time as her chakra merges with Toneri's.

Their chakra completely combines, creating a small, black and white ball of chakra. The black and white parts of the chakra swirl around each other in a circle, resembling the Yin and Yang symbol. Finally, the ball of chakra moves slowly towards Sasuke, until it finally enters his chest and stops glowing.

I continue hugging Sasuke's body close to me.

"Now it's all up to you, Sasuke," I say to him.

Please, Sasuke.

Come back to me.

Please.