The Cherry Blossom Festival

Sasuke's POV:

"This is stupid!" I say, flopping onto my bed. "I shouldn't have agreed to this shit."

"Well, it's too late to be complaining now!" Ino says, shifting through my closet. I groan.

After I met with Kakashi and he updated me on my mission for tomorrow, I planned to head back home and take a much-needed nap. I had only closed my eyes for about 5 minutes until I heard a knock on the door. Apparently, Sakura had sent Ino to help me pick out what to wear for tonight.

Too tired to resist, I let her in. However, I'm now starting to regret it.

"Why can't I just wear what I'm wearing now?" I say, rubbing my temples. How do women stress about stuff like this everyday?

Ino laughs, looking at my dusty black cloak. "Good one," she says, before turning back to my closet. She pulls out my old outfits from back when I was a rogue ninja.

"Aren't you, like, the stylish ninja of the group? Why do you have so many fighting outfits but no casual ones?" Ino says, throwing them on the floor. I try not to think about how I'll probably be the one picking those up later.

God, I'm such an idiot. What the hell am I doing? Why would I mention the festival to Naruto? Well technically I didn't ask to go with him so I could just stay home...

I sit up and look at the dusty photo I still have of us during our genin days in Team 7. Before everything went to shit. I sigh and flop back down on the bed.

I can't do that to him. He's expecting to see me there. Damnit Naruto, you loser.

Ino hears me sigh. "Gosh, who knew you were such a drama queen, Sasuke," she says.

I sit up again. "Why are you helping me?" I ask.

She rolls her eyes. "Trust me, I'm doing this for Sakura and Naruto, not you. I might be late for my date with Sai because of this, so be grateful."

I raise an eyebrow. "The crop top guy?"

Ino immediately turns defensive. "It's hot, okay! And he's a lot less of a jerk than you are," she says with her hands on her hips.

"Hn," I remark.

Getting frustrated at my closet, she finally turns around and pulls a grey coat out of her gift bag, throwing it at me.

"Wha-"

"Just take it, okay? It was meant to be a gift for Sai, but I'll just stop by the store real quick and get him something else. He'll probably appreciate art supplies more anyway," she says, grabbing her things and getting ready to leave.

"Ino-"

"You should get going too! If Sakura finds out you missed your date with Naruto she'll kill you," she says, walking out the door.

"It's not a..." I start to say, but she slams the door and is already gone.

"...date," I mutter to myself, holding the coat. I take off my cloak and put on the new coat over my black long sleeve. It fits perfectly. I look at the photo of Team 7 again.

"Genin Sasuke would be so ashamed right now," I say, facing myself in the mirror.

I glance at my bag, which is still sitting on the table since Naruto knocked it over earlier today. I contemplate bringing the envelope. Finally, I decided to fold it up and stuff it in my jacket pocket, although I doubt I'll be giving it to him today.

I'm just...keeping it safe, that's all, I tell myself as I'm walking out.

~

I find that blonde idiot standing near one of the cherry blossoms. He is dressed in a brown coat with a blue scarf, with falling petals in his hair as he excitedly looks around, anticipating my arrival. I resist the urge to smile at the sight.