A Tough Decision

Sasuke's POV:

I see, hear, and feel nothing but darkness.

At least, that's what I thought, until I feel a flick on my forehead.

I open my eyes and squint, adjusting to the bright light shining in my eyes.

I realize that it's a sunset. I look around, and find myself sitting on a porch outside of my childhood home.

"I see you're finally awake," a familiar voice next to me says.

I turn to my right and jump in complete surprise.

"Well...I guess I wouldn't say you're actually awake, but you get the idea. So, how have you been, Sasuke?"

"I-Itachi?" I say with wide eyes

"I-Itachi?" I say with wide eyes. I am really sitting side by side with my brother.

My dead brother, at that.

"Surprised to see me?" He says with a teasing smile.

I inspect myself, looking for any wounds or blood from my last memory of protecting Naruto. However, I seem perfectly fine.

Am I...dead?

As if he was reading my mind, Itachi smiles and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't stress yourself out worrying about life or death right now, Sasuke. For now, let's just sit and...talk," he says.

I stare at him, unsure of what to say. He chuckles and continues speaking.

"So...I know I said I'd love and support you no matter what, but...please don't tell me you destroyed Konoha," he says, slightly worried.

I shake my head.

Itachi laughs. "He really did it, huh. I like that kid. He's a man of his word. I'm glad I trusted him," his face falls and he sighs. "I guess he was a better brother to you than I was," he says.

I cringe from that last sentence. Brother?

"N-No! It's definitely not...like that. At all!" I say, sheepishly rubbing my head.

Itachi raises an eyebrow. "Well...okay then."

I look down and kick my feet under the porch swing.

"How were you able to love a world that treated you like shit?"

Itachi stayed silent for a moment. Then he started to laugh.

"Easy. I didn't."

I knit my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Wh—Huh? Yes you did!"

"No I didn't."

"You did! That was like...your whole thing with all the sacrificing for peace and shit!"

"Nuh-uh."

"Itachi!!" I shout in frustration.

He slaps his knee and starts laughing. I try to maintain my frown, but eventually I join in on the laughter as well.

He pokes my forehead again.

"I didn't need to love the world. The world is what you make it, and I had my own world to love. That was enough for me to take on any hatred life could throw at me."

That answer only led to more confusion.

"Your own world? Enough with the damn metaphors Itachi, what the hell does that mea—"

Suddenly, a bright, glowing door appears a distance from our yard. We both look up and stare, squinting at the bright light.

Itachi smiles. "Looks like you have a second chance," he says, standing up.

I stand up as well, switching my gaze from the door back to Itachi. I stay still.

"But I just got here," I say, unsure.

Itachi frowns and looks up at the sunset.

"Well the choice is yours, Sasuke. And like I said, I'll love and support you no matter what. So what will you do?"

I continue switching my gaze between Itachi and the door.

What do I do?