Sasuke's Return

Sasuke's POV:

I take a deep breath and enter the village gates. Izumo and Kotetsu widen their eyes as they see me pass the gate.

"Sasuke...Uchiha!" One of them remarked in surprise.

"I see you two are still close," I say casually, without breaking my stride.

I stop in the middle of the village, briefly forgetting where I live, until I see Sakura. She seems to be trying to guess what's inside the small paper bag that Hinata is holding.

 She seems to be trying to guess what's inside the small paper bag that Hinata is holding

They are mid-conversation when Sakura finally notices me and smiles.

"Sasuke!" She shouts. Hinata turns toward me and smiles as well. They both walk toward me, holding hands.

"Kakashi said you were running late, but I didn't expect you to be this late, Sasuke-kun," Sakura says teasingly. "When did you get back?"

I look towards the bag I'm carrying and my (kinda dirty) black cloak.

"Uh...just now," I say.

Sakura crosses her arms. "Well anyways, Hinata got me a gift and won't tell me what it is," she says, side eyeing Hinata.

Hinata laughs affectionately. "You'll find out when I give it to you at the cherry blossom festival tonight!"

"You know I can't wait that long," Sakura mutters, rolling her eyes. Hinata turns toward me.

"I'll let you two catch up. I'll see you later, Sakura-chan?" Hinata says. Sakura nods and gives her hand a squeeze before letting go. Hinata gives her a quick peck on the cheek before walking away.

Ah, so they're dating, I realize. As Sakura walks with me to my place to drop off my things, she notices my surprise.

"Shocker, right?" Sakura says. I snap out of my deep thoughts and look up.

"Huh?"

"Me and Hinata. Honestly, I didn't think we'd end up together either. But things just happened," Sakura says, smiling as she looked up at the cherry blossoms. I turn towards her to acknowledge what she said. She continues speaking.

"As you can see, I got over my silly little crush on you," she says, playfully nudging me. "Everyone had their own thing going on, so they started putting me in more missions with Hinata. We started hanging out more, and eventually fell in love," she says, smiling even harder. But then her smile falls for a minute.

She sighs. "But of course, our parents didn't support it. My mom realized what was happening and kicked me out of the house. Thankfully, Ino and her family took me in...they were always more loving and supportive than my own family..." she says, with her eyes beginning to water. She looks up and quickly blinks it away.

"S-sorry. I know family is a touchy subject with you and Naruto. I shouldn't have said anything," she says apologetically. Still walking, we both look at the ground in silence for a moment.

"I understand. My family wasn't perfect, but they were still great people. Not everyone has that blessing. Your issues are valid...and I'm glad you're happy," I finally say. Sakura smiles.

"Thanks," she says, playfully nudging me again. "After all, I couldn't compete with Naruto for your attention forever," she says with a smirk. I noticeably stiffen. She laughs.

"You know," she says, "he got really excited after hearing you'll be joining us for our mission tomorrow. I don't know where he is, but he dashed out of the Hokage's office in a hurry."

"Hn," I say, smirking in response.

~

We both finally arrive at my place. As we stand outside of my door, she looks me up and down.

"I'd clean up a bit if I were you. You know, before you bump into Naruto. I'd hate to see you look all dusty when you give that envelope to him," she says with a smirk, motioning towards the envelope noticeably poking out of my bag. Naruto's name, which I had written on the back, was clearly visible.

I stiffen again and quickly stuff it deeper in my bag. "It's nothing important," I say.

Sakura laughs again, tilting her head. "I'm sure you heard, but there's a big cherry blossom festival tonight. You and Naruto should come with us."

I briefly contemplate it as Sakura starts walking away.

"Well, I'll see you later then. Don't forget to stop by Kakashi's office for the details of our mission," she says.

"Yeah," I say, as I open my door. Oddly, it wasn't locked.

Oh well, not like I have anything important enough to steal, I thought.

But when I open the door, I notice a figure in my house. I immediately use my Susano'o to grab him and point my sword towards him.

"H-hey! Put me down! Let's talk this out, ya know? C'mon, let me explain!" The person shouts, attempting to struggle out of the grab.

I widen my eyes and slowly draw back my sword.

"Naruto, you idiot! What are you doing in my house?" I exclaim.

~

***AUTHOR'S NOTE***

How do y'all feel about Sakura and Hinata as a couple? If you guys really like it, I could write another fanfic (after this one) focusing on their relationship. It'll be a prologue to this story, taking place while Sasuke was still on his redemption journey. Let me know what y'all think!