A New Mission

Sasuke's POV (cont.):

Me, Kakashi, Sakura, Shikamaru, and Sai are all gathered in Naruto's hospital room while Naruto is sitting up in the bed and eating from a cup of ramen. Even while injured, this boy never ceases to amaze me.

"Naruto, are you sure you're okay?" I ask, worried if he should even be moving after such an injury.

"I'm fine! I got Kurama's chakra, remember? I heal pretty fast! Besides, since when do you worry about me, Sasuke?" he says, teasing. I feel my face turn hot.

"I just don't want you dragging us down, loser," I say, trying to hide my flusteredness.

I turn to Sakura, who is deeply depressed.

"Don't worry Sakura, Hinata is strong. I'm sure she'll be fine," Shikamaru says to comfort her.

"Hm, I don't know about that. The Byakugan is nothing compared to the powers of an Otsutuki," Sai bluntly says.

We all frown at him. He nervously smiles, rubbing the back of his head.

"Uh...hehe, sorry."

"We were just about to watch the fireworks together..." Sakura says, hugging the scarf that Hinata gave her. Her eyes watering, she balls her fists. "Why does he want her? Hinata never did anything to upset anybody, she doesn't deserve this!"

Kakashi pats Sakura's head reassuringly.

We are all silent, feeling sympathy for her

We are all silent, feeling sympathy for her. Finally, Kakashi clears his throat.

"I really hate to do this now, but I believe this is time sensitive," he says. We all turn to look at him as he continues to speak.

"I am assigning the five of you a new mission. Go after that guy and save Hinata. She's strong, but Sai is right. That Otsutsuki's powers are in a league of its own. You guys are gonna need to work together to take him down," Kakashi says.

Before I can interject, Naruto gives him a thumbs up.

"We're on it, Kakashi sensei!" He says. The others nod in agreement.

However, I can't help but think about what Toneri said to me.

"I'll come back for you, Uchiha." "You're just like me."

I look at the ground and frown, hearing those words replay in my head over and over again.

What did he mean by that?

"Sasuke?" Naruto says. I snap out of my deep thoughts.

"Are you coming with us or what?" Shikamaru asks, crossing his arms and yawning.

"Um...yeah," I say.

"Great! It's settled. You all will be leaving first thing in the morning," Kakashi says, leaving the room.

~

As I get ready for my mission in the morning, I notice the jacket that Ino gave me was on the floor. Last night, I had been so tired that I just threw it on the floor and slept. When I pick up the jacket, I see the envelope fall out.

Shit. I forgot about this. I cringe, thinking back to the whole ordeal at the festival last night before Toneri came. I hold it in my hands, contemplating whether I should bring it with me. As I stare at the envelope, I hear banging on the door.

Startled, I quickly tuck in the pocket inside of my cloak before I open the door.

"Sasuke! You ready?" Naruto says, smiling with his hands behind his back.

I sigh. I can't escape from this blonde idiot.

"What are you doing here, loser? We still have 2 hours until we set out for the mission, go eat ramen or something," I say. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not really a morning person.

However, Naruto smiles wider and holds up two cups of ramen.

"I remembered you didn't get to enjoy your ramen at Ichiraku's last night! Of course, this doesn't compare, but I thought it would do," he says enthusiastically.

I raise an eyebrow. "Ramen for breakfast?"

He raises an eyebrow in exchange. "Would you rather eat Sakura's homemade food pills?"

I sigh again. He has a point.