Conflicted

Sasuke's POV:

As we set out for our mission, I notice a slight mood change in Naruto. I first noticed it while we were walking together to meet with the team, but I didn't want to say anything.

I pull my cape tighter around me, remembering I have the envelope inside the inner pocket.

Shit. I didn't get a chance to put it away since Naruto came over this morning. Now I gotta carry this stupid envelope with me the entire mission.

I turn to look at Naruto again, finding it odd that he hasn't tried to run ahead of us or complain he needs to use the bathroom for the last 10 minutes.

"Hey, what's your problem, loser? Why are you so quiet?" I ask.

"I have a name, ya know! You don't gotta call me a loser in every sentence!" He pouts, crossing his arms.

I begin to feel relieved, seeing that the old Naruto is still there. However, he returns to his odd quiet self soon after.

"Keep it down, you too! Whole reason we're walking and not flying on Sai's hand drawn birds is so we don't get noticed if there's an enemy lurking around," Shikamaru says. His eyes linger on me, with an irritable scowl.

So it seems someone still has a grudge.

We eventually arrive at a dock in front of a lake, in an extremely foggy area.

"Uhh, two canoes, please," Sakura asks the man at the dock.

When we walk towards the two canoes, Sai turns to Shikamaru.

"There's an uneven amount of people in our group, so we'll need two people in one canoe and three people in the other," Sai states.

I automatically turn to Naruto, assuming he'll want to be with me, but he avoids looking in my direction. Instead, he grabs Sakura and Sai's arms.

"I'll go with you guys," he says, dragging Sakura and Sai to one of the canoes.

Surprised, Sakura and Sai look at each other, and then at me. Confused as well, I shrug and turn towards Shikamaru, who rolls his eyes.

"What a drag..."

~

Me and Shikamaru wordlessly row the paddles on each side of the canoe. We follow closely behind Naruto, Sakura, and Sai's canoe.

"Can you row any faster? We'll get lost if we don't catch up to them," Shikamaru says, rolling his eyes again. This guy is really starting to get on my nerves.

"Well it's hard to row with just one arm," I say, sarcastically.

He continues rowing the canoe with his left arm, while he uses his other arm to light up a cigarette. He takes a long drag from the cigarette and breathes out the smoke before he looks in my direction and smirks.

"Well I seem to manage," he finally says. Asshole.

"What the hell is your problem?" I snap at him.

He takes another drag from his cigarette. I'm tempted to grab it out of his mouth and toss it in the lake.

"You. You're my problem, Uchiha," Shikamaru says. I roll my eyes.

"I get it, I'm the Rogue Uchiha. But can you hold on to that grudge some other time? We got a mission to complete," I say.

"Please, this mission is the only reason I'm even in this boat with you," he replies, taking another drag from his stupid cigarette.

"Then why are you being an asshole?"