ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 27: ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪꜱꜱɪᴏɴ

"A single action holds several meanings."

Moira gets a new opportunity.

______________________________________________________________

Word Count Warning 4.3k:

Another month has passed since me and Wolffe's talk in the MedBay. Despite knowing the truth behind the cause of the Star Fighter accident, I never told Master Plo. Whether it was out of sympathy or pity... I didn't know. I knew first hand that the worst punishment someone could face was one they inflicted on themselves. Wolffe, as emotionless as he may seem, was genuinely sorry. The guilt I felt in the MedBay, it was tearing him apart. I didn't want to make it any worse. He appeared to have learned his lesson, and we had made a truce. I wasn't going to pass that up. Anyway, ever since that night, Wolffe had gradually started to talk to me more. During briefings he would ask me what the most important takeaway was, and he would explain what facts are the most important to keep in mind when on a mission. He was kinda teaching me in a way. There was even a time that he decided to eat with me during lunch. Not only that, but he actually talked to me!

I was still getting daily updates from Obi-Wan. They seemed to improve slightly. He told me that Ahsoka was still emotional whenever the topic was brought up, but she would busy herself with training or missions. Obi-Wan seemed optimistic, but I knew better. Though our bond may have been blocked, I knew Ahsoka would always try to busy herself when she was bothered or hurt by something. She was still grieving, and probably still blamed herself. Even after four months. The longer this drew out, the more I wanted to go and see her. Sure it would destroy every bit of progress I had made with my new identity, but I would be able to see her again. I would make sure of it.

I was still close with all the members of the Wolf Pack. However, I noticed that they all had become a bit more protective around me, especially Sinker. They were constantly checking in with me after every training session, or comming me when no one had heard from me in less than an hour. Whenever I confronted them about it, they just brushed it off as "Standard procedure" or that they had to "watch out for the Pup." I was slightly annoyed with it, but I was mostly amused. I never thought a group of genetically modified soldiers could be so concerned over the condition of a teenager.

The unit had continued to go on several missions over the last month, mostly supply runs with little fighting. I still wasn't allowed to go on them. But I was able to command several space battles...from the safety of the command center of course. While I was happy to help wherever I could, I still doubted myself most of the time. I was also beginning to feel a bit restless. I had been stuck on this ship for four months now. We had only stopped to refuel once or twice, but I was never allowed outside. I am beginning to feel suffocated. I hadn't breathed fresh air in over 4 months. And while Master Plo made sure that I was in peak condition with the constant training, I was yearning for something more. A breath of fresh air.

Today I was called to the briefing room. The unit was being sent on another mission. They were sending our Feral Platoon to investigate a potential Separatist listening post in the Outer Rim. It was strictly a recon mission, to map the terrain and investigate a 10 click range location and pin point the base, only if there was one. It sounded simple enough. It was the perfect opportunity. I needed to get off this cruiser, even if it was only for a day.

"I'm coming." I said near the end of the briefing, causing everyone to turn towards me. Surprised by my sudden interruption, and the fact that I had said it so matter a factly.

"Not this time Commander." Comet said, giving me a look that screamed 'drop it.' I persisted, if I gave in easily, I would never reach my goal.

"I need to come on this one. Besides, it's a simple recon mission, I can handle it." I explained, hoping someone would back me up.