ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 30: ʀᴇᴠɪᴠᴀʟ

"Not everything told is true."

Moira teaches a Trooper a valuable lesson... while stealing a ship... and jumping out of said ship... into the middle of a battle zone...

Did I mention it's active?

______________________________________________________________

Author's Note: So... here's the thing.

Chapters 29 and 30 were originally just one chapter... that had about 12.3k word in it...  But I thought it might be a bit much to read all at once, so I split it up.  The chapter you are about to read has a word count of 6.7k. Sorry if this still seems kinda long, but I hope you enjoy it!

I continued jumping through the trees, even after I could no longer hear their shouts. Wolffe had just tried to shoot me! The reality of the situation only increased my anger. I started running faster, my emotions taking hold. He was the problem, he always has been. Our past conversation meant nothing to him and I knew it. I had to get away from him. He didn't care about anyone. As much as I hated to admit it though, he was right about one thing. My men, those good men, were dead, and it was all my fault. If only I had stayed with them, I could have changed something. Even if I only managed to save one of them, it was worth it to me. One life is priceless. But not to Wolffe. The moment he heard that his troops were dead, he brushed it aside and started talking about the kriffing mission.

He might not care about them, but I do. I had to make this right. I had to finish the mission for them. Based on what Wolffe had told me, there was a droid base in this direction that they were planning to take down. But I would get there first. I would finish the mission, so no one else would have to die, because of my mistakes.

I had to do this for them. Your sacrifice will not be in vain.

I continued my path only stopping when I reached the end of the trees. I looked below me and saw the tree line stop at the edge of a steep slope, but it started up again at the bottom of the hill. It was tricky terrain, but not impossible for me to climb down. I landed on the ground with a quiet thump, checking to make sure the coast was clear, before I bolted down the hill to the nearest bush cover. I dove into the leaves, keeping my body pressed against the ground. I didn't hear or sense any droids nearby. Satisfied that my presence had not been detected, I popped my head out of the leaves to get a better look. The base was carved out on the side of a mountain. The main structure probably had many tunnels connecting the passages to the main parts. The front of the base that was not built into the mountain had a tall wall, separating it from the surrounding forest. The base was definitely fortified and would be hard for any group to get in to. Good thing I'm on my own.

I began my walk to the entrance of the base, diving and somersaulting into anything that would hide me from sight. I managed to sneak by several droid units that were on patrol. I could do this, I just had to stay focused and remember my training. I continued this pattern for about twenty minutes until I came to the outskirts of the forest, where the wall met the woods. The main entrance was ray shielded and there were guards posted at each end. When I glanced up, I noticed some heavy cannons hanging off the watchtowers, ready to blast anyone on sight. To power a base of that size, it would probably take a large energy core... that's it! A plan was beginning to form in my head. I could sneak into the base undetected, rig some explosives to the central power system, and then blow the droids sky high! Simple enough, now I just need to get into the base.

I examined the wall on all ends trying to spot a weak point. I was about to give up on looking, when a shiny surface caught my eye. I squinted my eyes to see what it was. It was the entrance to the vent system. Bingo!