Chapter 3

"And there he was! Standing there like a lunatic!" Emerson exclaimed, her voice filled with indignation.

"Emi, you can't call Marco a lunatic just because he scared you as a prank..." Victoria interjected, trying to diffuse the tension.

"The hell I can! This bloody idiot almost gave me a full-on non-existent heart attack!" Emerson retorted, still visibly agitated.

Marco had taken it upon himself to prank Emerson in retaliation for the prank her brother and James had played on him a few days prior.  It wasn't anything too dramatic that Marco did; he simply orchestrated a scenario where Emerson found herself outside alone at night, at a peculiarly specific time. Then, just as he anticipated, he appeared out of nowhere, effectively scaring the wits out of her.

"Will you now allow Marco to sit with us?" Victoria asked, attempting to broker peace between her friends. "Or is he still in trouble?"

"Both," Emerson declared firmly, her tone leaving no room for negotiation. She gestured for Marco to join them but insisted he sit a bit further away as a form of punishment. For Marco, the distance was hardly a penalty; it offered a momentary respite from Emerson's wrath.

"So I'm allowed back now?" Marco teased, a mischievous glint in his eyes as he approached the table.

"Yes, but only because I don't want to do my potions work, and Vic here doesn't want to do it either, so you're my second choice," Emerson replied casually, not bothering to look up from her food.

"Great...so I'm the second choice now?" Marco feigned disappointment, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

"Marco, one of us has to be your second choice, so..." Emerson started to explain before being interrupted.

"Yeah! Who!? It better not be me!" Emerson finally looked up, fixing Marco with a challenging glare.

***

"TIME! Two minutes and fifty-eight seconds!" Marco yelled with excitement, the trio was currently testing to see who could balance the longest on one leg. "Victoria, your turn!"  "Alright," Victoria had gotten up, "start!" 

 Marco and Emerson both chanted and yelled. Then Marco stopped the time and they waited to hear the time. 

 "...FOUR minutes and THIRY SEVEN SECONDS!" Marco announced, "VICTORIA WINS!" 

 "YES!!" Emerson congratulated her friend. "I saw that one coming, did you know she could also do weird bendy tricks, they are weird it's like she has no bones..." 

 Victoria is fairly flexible considering she loved to dance as a kid but never really continued to. Emerson was not at all into dancing since she preferred painting, drawing, or anything of the sort. 

"Shall we go down to the kitchens for snacks?" Marco asked getting two confused looks. Emerson didn't think Marco actually enjoyed going to the kitchens but agreed. While Victoria found it amusing how Emerson's personality was now rubbing off on him.

**

Emerson let out a dramatic sigh, leaning back against the wall with a heavy sense of resignation. "I doubt it! I'm probably going to end up lonely, with paintings of cats!"

"Emi, you won't—wait, why paintings of cats?" Victoria interjected, genuinely curious.

"Because taking care of multiple cats is exhausting!" Emerson replied with exasperation.