Chapter 48

✧.* Let it hurt, then let it go ✧.*

The morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow over the room as the residents of the Black household began to stir. Regulus awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside his window, his mind still foggy from sleep as he blinked away the remnants of dreams.

As he glanced around the room, his eyes settled on the figure of his sister, Emerson, sprawled across his bed in a tangle of blankets. Her peaceful expression belied the chaos of the previous night, the memory of which lingered in the air like a heavy fog.

Regulus couldn't shake the unease that gnawed at him, a sense of worry tugging at his heartstrings as he recalled Emerson's late-night escapade with Barty. He knew his sister was headstrong and independent, but he couldn't help but fear for her safety in the unpredictable world outside their doorstep. Especially with Barty. 

With a sigh, Regulus pushed aside his concerns, resolving to check on Emerson before starting his day. He gently shook her shoulder, coaxing her awake with a soft murmur. Emerson groaned in response, burying her face deeper into the pillows as she resisted the call of consciousness.

"Emerson, wake up," Regulus urged, his voice tinged with concern. "It's morning."

Slowly, Emerson peeled open her eyes, blinking against the bright sunlight streaming through the window. She squinted up at her brother, her thoughts still muddled from sleep as she struggled to make sense of the new day.

"What time is it?" she mumbled, her voice thick with sleep. She could feel her head pound terribly.

"Almost noon," Regulus replied, a hint of reproach in his tone. "You were out late last night."

Recognition dawned on Emerson's face as the events of the previous night flooded back to her in a rush of memories. She winced at the memory of her encounter with Astrid, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment as she recalled their intimate exchange. Yet, apart of her wished for it to happen all over again. 

Regulus observed his sister's reaction with a mixture of concern and curiosity, sensing her discomfort despite her attempts to conceal it. He knew there was more to the story than Emerson was letting on, and he resolved to get to the bottom of it before the day was through.

"Are you alright?" Regulus asked, his voice softening with genuine concern. "You seem... off."

Emerson hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal to her brother about her late-night rendezvous with Barty and Astrid. She could sense the unspoken questions in Regulus's eyes, his silent plea for honesty hanging heavy in the air between them.

"I'm fine," Emerson replied, her tone clipped as she pushed herself into a sitting position. "Just tired."

Regulus accepted her response with a nod, though the concern remained etched on his features as he watched his sister with a careful eye. He knew there was more to the story than Emerson was letting on, and he resolved to uncover the truth before the day was through.

As they prepared for the day ahead, the events of the previous night lingered in the air like a shadow, casting a pall over the morning routine. Emerson couldn't shake the memory of her encounter with Astrid, her thoughts consumed by questions and uncertainties that refused to be silenced. For some reason she wanted to know more about Astrid. 

With a heavy heart, she braced herself for the challenges that lay ahead, knowing that the consequences of her actions would soon come to light. And her heart began to pound with the thought of her mother finding out about what she had done. 

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

"Did you send the letter, dear?" Celeste inquired, her voice soft as she bent down to place Ollie's food bowl on the ground. Ollie, their loyal companion, wagged his tail in excitement at the sight of his meal.