Chapter 11

"Emi, Emi, EMI!" Victoria hissed at Emerson, who was pretending to read a book upside down. "You know I can tell when you're not actually reading."

Emerson sighed, lowering the book. "Oh, what, are you a mind reader now?"

"Emi, why are you mad at me? I just told you not to go overboard with Marco. Besides, those sticks must have felt some serious pain."

Emerson paused, considering Victoria's words. "So, should I bring bricks next time I want to question Mars?"

"No," Victoria replied firmly. "We'll ask him again, but we need to get ready for Hogsmeade. We'll leave soon."

Today marked the Hogsmeade trip before Christmas break. Emerson had already decided to stay home for a few days before heading to her own house. Regulus had mentioned staying at Avery's house, but Emerson knew he wouldn't leave his parents alone for the holiday.

Emerson was looking forward to the Hogsmeade trip mainly for the butterbeer. Regulus rarely allowed her to indulge in sugary treats because they made her too hyper. Victoria, however, enjoyed giving Emerson sweets, knowing they sparked her creativity. Marco hadn't witnessed Emerson on a sugar high yet, but he soon would.

Victoria linked arms with Emerson, who rested her head on Victoria's shoulder as they approached Marco, who appeared engrossed in his work. Seeing them, he hastily closed his book and held it up defensively.

"If you're going to hit me again, please spare my face this time. I can't afford another trip to the infirmary with a broken nose," Marco said, half-jokingly, half-seriously.

Victoria nudged Emerson forward, silently urging her to apologize. Emerson sighed, kneeling down beside Marco and gently setting his book aside. "I'm not going to hit you. I'm here to apologize. Did I break your nose last time? Because if I did, I'm genuinely sorry."

"No, that was for something else..." Marco replied, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Do you accept Emi's apology?" Victoria asked, taking a seat beside them.

Marco nodded. "Yeah, sure. Now, shall we head to Hogsmeade? We might be late if we don't hurry."

Victoria eagerly took Marco's offered hand, while Emerson grabbed both of their hands to help herself up.

The three of them made their way to the exit, where Professor McGonagall was reviewing the trip's rules, as usual. Spotting them, she called them over.

"Where are your permission slips?" McGonagall inquired.

"Oh, Minnie! It's great to see you too!" Emerson exclaimed, throwing her arms around McGonagall in a quick hug.

McGonagall gently removed Emerson from her, giving her a stern look. "Fine, let me see your permission slip. And yours, Carter."

Marco handed over his neatly folded slip, while Victoria unfolded hers, shaped into a peculiar star. McGonagall raised an eyebrow but accepted it nonetheless.

"Off you go then," McGonagall said, waving them off with a sigh. "Love my job..."

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

"What if we stay here? I mean think about it," Emerson raised her hands, pointing at both of them to add dramatic effect. "We could just stay here and force someone to make us butterbeer forever!" 

Marco took a second before responding, "Em, as great as the idea is, it wouldn't be that long before someone realizes that three teenagers took over The Three Broomsticks." 

"Yeah and not to mention Emi, who would we actually force into making us butterbeer?" 

One thing Emerson loved more than words could describe is butterbeer, she absolutely loved anything that had to do with butterbeer. The original reason for coming to Hogsmeade was to buy a few presents for Christmas but Emerson insisted they go to The Three Broomsticks for butterbeer.