7 - Welcome Back Hug

"You visited him?" On Monday, Y/N met Areum while the two of them stepped inside the school gates, their conversation picking up where they had left off. 

"Yeah," Y/N replied with a nod, adjusting her bag on her shoulder. "I know you're going to say that was bold of me but he needed someone to talk to him. Although I'm surprised he let me in, Sunghoon said he didn't pick up their calls."

"Bold might be an understatement, but honestly, I think it's really cool that you did that. However, you're such a fake friend for not telling me to go with you." She rolled her eyes, faking exasperation.

"Sunghoon wasn't there, bestie, you didn't miss out on much." That earned Y/N a smack from Areum as she mocks gasped and shook her head in disbelief. "Ouch! Okay, okay, next time I'll make sure you're in on the secret mission."

"How is he? Is he going to be expelled?" Areum's concern shifted their conversation to a more serious tone as they continued their walk.

"He's okay, I guess. I helped him write an apology letter so I think he has a chance to avoid expulsion. He might be an asshole but I kinda want him to stay. I mean, Yongsun really deserves his nose broken for telling Jay that about his mother. Anything but parents, especially those who passed away."

Areum nodded, sighing slightly. "Who thought the school year would start like this? And we never really know what's coming next." Y/N just nodded at that, wondering what other twists life might bring their way. Throughout the day, they had assignments and classes to attend, and the events of that Saturday evening soon became a distant conversation.

Y/N found herself totally not focused on whatever the literature teacher was droning on about. Her mind had drifted back to when she visited Jay and how he seemed happy to spend time with her. She'd never thought she'd ever have fun with someone like him, but she did and it was a strange and unexpected feeling. She smiled to herself, lost in her thoughts as the teacher's words faded into the background.

The door opened all of a sudden and Y/N could hear students gasp before she turned around, only to see Jay standing at the door. Her breath stuck when he wasted no time and stared at where she was sitting, a faint smile on his lips. 

"Hello," He made his way toward the board and bowed at his classmates and then at the teacher. "I apologize for what happened and I ask you to welcome me once again." 

Y/N's heart raced as she saw him standing there, his presence commanding the attention of the entire classroom. Her cheeks flushed as their eyes locked, and she found herself momentarily lost for words. She managed to offer a small smile in return before quickly glancing down at her desk, her fingers fidgeting with a pencil.

"Why was that look on your face?" After Jay stepped out to head to the administrative office, Areum asked, her voice a hushed whisper.

She blinked, momentarily taken aback by the question. "Um, what look?"

"You looked a certain way when he came in," She folded her arms over her chest and watched as Y/N shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "You looked at him and it's like you were staring at some sort of blue sky."

"And?"

"You love blue skies." Heat rushed to Y/N's cheeks before she let out a mock gasp, trying to hide her embarrassment behind playful disbelief. "Seriously, Y/N, I've never seen you look at anyone the way you looked at him."

"You're imagining things." She rolled her eyes, her fingers still nervously fiddling with her pencil. "Okay, fine, maybe I was a little surprised to see him."

Areum leaned in, her voice lowering even further. "Could it be that you were actually hoping to see him?"

"Maybe a little?" She admitted because she was indeed curious about Jay's sudden appearance, and her heart had skipped a beat when she saw him at the door. "Being back here means the school accepted his apology, right? That means he's allowed to stay."

"It should be-" Areum shrugged and before she knew it, Y/N raised her hand and asked for permission to go to the bathroom, giving her a quick thumbs up as she darted out of the classroom. She was planning on meeting Jay and asking him about how everything went, so, she headed to the administrative office where she expected to find Jay.

She stood at the door, eavesdropping to see if she could catch any snippets of conversation before she entered. It wasn't long before the door swung open and she rushed to hide behind a nearby corner, hoping Jay wouldn't spot her eavesdropping.

The loud echo of a slap was heard through the corridor, making her freeze in shock. Her eyes widened as she tried to process what had just happened. The unexpected sound had shattered the silence, and her heart raced as she peered around the corner. Jay was standing at the door, his expression numb. Facing him was a man, his hand still raised from the slap. "You're a disappointment, Park Jongseong."

"I'm sorry, Dad," Jay said curtly, his voice devoid of emotion, but his eyes betrayed the hurt that ran deep. The man's scoff was bitter as he looked at Jay for one last time and stormed away. 

She watched as Jay turned his head, only for their eyes to lock, making her heart ache at the vulnerability she saw within his gaze. He walked to her, holding her hand before he pulled her with him towards the rooftop where they could find some privacy. 

As they reached the rooftop, Jay let out a deep breath, his shoulders slumping as he leaned against the railing. The gentle breeze rustled their hair, and the cityscape spread out before them. "Are you okay?" She hesitantly asked and he offered her a faint smile, though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"I will be." His voice was starting to crack and she realized how much he was holding back his tears. "Can I hug you? I never feel this way but I guess it all came crashing down today and I really need that comfort-"

Without a moment's hesitation, she opened her arms wide for him and he looked at her for a moment before he stepped into the embrace she offered. His hesitation dissolved as he held her tightly, his grip strong and desperate, as if he were afraid to let go. The sounds of the city, the distant hum of traffic, the occasional laughter, all seemed to fade into the background as they stood there, arms wrapped around each other. 

"You can cry," Y/N whispered, her voice a soothing balm to his wounded spirit. "I'll hold you for as long as you need." His hold on her tightened, his head resting against her shoulder as he finally allowed himself to let go. The tears that he had held back for so long finally fell, wetting her shoulder as she softly stroked his hair, letting him release the pent-up emotions that had been weighing on him.

"I'm so sorry." His arms wrapped tightly around her waist, his words muffled against her neck. "I didn't think I could do... this." 

She leaned her head against his, her voice a gentle whisper against his ear. "You don't have to apologize, this is your welcome back hug." Jay took in a shaky breath, pulling away slightly to look into Y/N's eyes. She smiled, her fingers wiping away the remnants of his tears. "See? The letter was pretty convincing. I told you I'm good." 

Staring at her, he found himself at a loss for words. He bet he could make her fall for him by the end f the semester, but it only took Y/N a week to become like a breath of fresh air on a warm, sunny day.