48 - I'm Here

Three days had passed and Jay was still unconscious.

Emptiness had become a rather regular company of Y/N, especially since the accident that left her half and numb. It became another name of her daily life despite many of her failed attempts to pretend that nothing was bothering her. 

It was, of course, a huge lie that even she herself did not believe in therefore, she did not expect others to do so. 

However, it was a fortune that no one really bothered her with questions and only nodded their heads when she replied to their cliche question with a quiet, "I'm fine."

Although they knew she wasn't. 

It was just another lie that sounded better than any kind of truth she could accept. Therefore, it locked Y/N's lips so tightly that she didn't talk to anyone for the past few days, even to her friends, who refused to leave her side until they were sure that Y/N was alright. 

Because deep down, they felt guilty as much as Y/N did and were unsure of what they were supposed to do. And that's why, day after day, night after night, they made every effort to help Y/N whenever they could. 

After Jay fell into a coma, her whole world came crashing down. She was dependant on him, and there he was, fighting for his life. Y/N had no clue how he was most days as he remained unresponsive during her visits.

It broke her heart, she couldn't see him so lost. She felt lost.

Y/N would hold his hand every day, having been told by the doctors that it would be a good stimulus to help try and wake him up when his body felt ready. 

"We had a bit of a breakthrough today..." 

The doctor informed Y/N as she made her way into the hospital for the night. She stopped, walking over to the reception desk. 

"We think within the next few days Jay might become responsive again."

Y/N felt her lips tremble as she stared at the doctor in disbelief. Her heart was beating so fast and tears of joy fell down her cheeks before she wiped them quickly and looked down.

She didn't want to get her hopes up.

"How... how can y-you be so sure?"

"One of the nurses went in earlier and they believe they saw his finger move. It's only a minor movement... but it's a sign that he's at least aware." He said and Y/N blinked the tears away. A sob left her lips before she placed a hand on her mouth, blocking herself from making noises.

"T-thank you." She said as she bowed and ran down the corridor. She stopped just outside his room like she did every day, taking a deep breath, composing herself for him.

As nice as the news were, she didn't want to get ahead of herself, she had to see him move for herself before she could take any hope.

"H-hi Jay... It's me," Y/N smiled, walking into Jay's room, sitting beside him and holding his hand. "Y/N..."

A single tear fell down her cheek before she wiped it and faked a smile. "Everyone s-says hello... they are worried about y-you." She stroked his hand gently as she stared at him sleeping. 

Y/N stared down, a little optimistic for a reaction, but she got nothing. She spoke to him every day like he was awake in hope that he'd be able to hear what she says and take motivation from it.

"The doctor said that you moved this morning," She whispered. "C-come on," She begged. 

"You've got to pull yourself through because I don't k-know what I'll do without you... All that strength and courage you've got inside you... use a bit just to keep fighting, don't g-give up on me because I'm not leaving your side, I won't allow t-this to have an u-unhappy ending..."

Her thumb grazed against the back of his hand, still no movement, despite it being the hand that moved earlier.

"I know you're tired... but if you c-can... just give me a sign," She pleaded. "Just let me know you're o-okay..."

Still, there was nothing, as remained for the rest of the night. She'd got hopeful, just to fall from grace and crash back down as he remained lifeless.

As soon as she was out of the hospital that night, she sobbed. Tears poured down her cheeks and rain poured down on her small figure, making her all wet. 

"Why is t-this happening...!" She shouted, staring up at the night sky as rain fell on her face. "It's not f-fair..."

Life is cruel and unfair.

   . . .

The following day, Y/N came back to the hospital again. Even if yesterday's heartache could last a lifetime, she decided to come... and try again. 

"Lee Y/N," The doctor greeted her, a sad smile plastered on his lips. 

"Am I... going to have my h-heart broken again?" She asked while staring at him with her puffy and red eyes. 

Looking away, the doctor lowered his head and didn't respond. Instead, he walked side by side with Y/N, walking along the same corridor they'd passed for nearly a week. The same white walls greeted Y/N every day, they were so dark and gloomy around her.

She couldn't be optimistic, not like yesterday. 

She wasn't in the right state to go through the same turmoil, she wasn't prepared to be pushed off the top when she thought things were finally looking up.

Standing in front of his door, the doctor looked at her one last time and smiled. 

"Go in." He ushered her to go inside before he slowly walked away, leaving her with a heart beating so fast it could burst out of her chest.

With hesitant steps, she walked in and stood in front of him. 

He was sleeping so peacefully yet he looked so weak and vulnerable. His chest rose and fell with every breath he took, making the tears start falling down Y/N's eyes.

"Hey, Jay... I'm h-here again." She wiped her tears and sat down next to him as she took his hand in hers. "Everyone is waiting for you to wake up... we're all w-worried..." 

She found herself stroking his cheek gently as she stared at him, a soft smile plastered on her lips.

He felt warm.

"It's all my fault... if only I didn't l-lie, you wouldn't have got into an accident and you wouldn't have been lying on a hospital bed, almost l-lifeless-" A sob left her lips before she put a hand on her mouth and squeezed her eyes shut.

Slightly shaking her head, she looked at him again and gently squeezed his hand. "I'm sorry for everything I did... I'm s-sorry for all the lies and heartbreaks I caused..."

Feeling her heart ache, Y/N's tears fell harder as she found herself sobbing. 

"Please, Jay... w-wake up... don't l-leave us like this..." She sobbed harder as she put her head on the side of the bed. "Don't leave me and Hana... we still n-need you..."

A hand was placed on Y/N's head as it softly stroked her hair, making her freeze in her place as she widened her eyes.

"I'm... not leaving anywhere, Y/N."

A/N: Aaaaahhhhhhh