21.

Lando

I'm having a baby, it's really sunk in now that we have been building the cot. I mean we absolutely struggled but it's up and it's properly setting in that in a few months I will be a dad. I'm still not sure this is something I'm ready for and I know I wouldn't do it without Rosie by my side. That was part of my issue accepting it in the first place, I wasn't going to be able to be a parent without being with Rosie. "I am absolutely shattered" she says and I can't help but smile at her slightly flustered face "I know, how about we have a chill afternoon?" She nods and follows me through to the living room. It's become a routine for the past few days that Rosie sits with her feet in my lap and I massage them, right now is no exception. She seems to have something on her mind "you okay Rosie?"

Rosie

Lando's question drags me out of my thoughts "actually I've got a scan booked tomorrow and Charles was supposed to go in Monaco but I've rebooked it to here and I was hoping you might want to join? We will find out the gender?" His face lights up "I would love to come" he gives me a blinding smile "okay cool, I've booked it for tomorrow at 3pm" he nods "shall we go out for breakfast?" I nod already dreaming of fluffy pancakes! The rest of the evening is spent watching movies and trying to distract me from freaking out about tomorrow. "Have you had any ideas for names?" I ask Lando who shakes his head "not really? Have you?" I know this is going to either go down well or badly "well if it's a boy I would like to name him Jules" I gauge his reaction "I think that would be wonderful, I know how close you were" I nod sadly my thoughts drifting to my friend who was taken from all of us too soon.

The next day

We are currently sat in the waiting room and I'm sipping on a litre bottle of water as you need a full bladder to get a good scan. I know I will be bursting for the loo but it's worth it "Miss Russell" the woman calls and I stand up Lando following "how are you both?" She asks and I smile nervously "a little bit apprehensive" she smiles gently "it's gender scan day, would you like to know?" I nod immediately knowing I don't have the patience to wait "perfect, if you can bring your top up" she requests turning to type in some information, I'm ready when she faces me again "so cold jelly then the pressure of the wand" she tells me and I look over at Lando who looks nervous. I take his hand as she pushes the wand over my stomach "there we go" she says and my eyes immediately snap to the screen in absolute wonder "wow" Lando whispers beside me. She keeps moving the wand around recording measurements in the computer "everything looks good, and I can let you both know that you are having a baby girl" my eyes well up and I can't help the tears that fall as the sound of my baby girls heartbeat echos around the room. The only thing I miss is Charles, it feels really wrong that he isn't here.

"That was amazing!" Lando says as we wander through the shopping centre "I know! Part of me felt it was going to be a boy though" he laughs "well I think another you in the world isn't a bad thing" he takes my hand as we wander into mothercare and we immediately drift over to the girls section. It's absolutely adorable, little pink babygrows, cute little headbands and dresses. I feel quite overwhelmed but I pick up some babygrows and vests in newborn size "it is all very pink" Lando comments and I laugh "of course, all girls want is pink" I say sarcastically as he notices I'm holding neutral or white babygrows "well she doesn't have to wear pink all of the time" he jokes and we walk through the shop till we arrive at pushchairs and car seats "this is overwhelming" I comment and he squeezes my hand but my eyes settle on the most beautiful pushchair and I immediately walk over. It was a deep green with a forest scene and I knew I wouldn't want any other "can I help you at all?" A shop assistant questions clearly noticing that I've been looking at the pushchair "actually I really like this set, does it come with a car seat?" The shop assistant nods "it does, it can attach onto the frame as well" I nod and look for Lando who is currently stood in-front of a plain grey pushchair "can I order this?" I ask knowing it's slightly early but I'm still going to races for a few more weeks "absolutely I can do that for you now" I give the pushchair one last look completely certain in my decision.