47.

George

I cannot believe what she has just told me! How can she choose 12 months over 5 years! I storm through the door of the hospitality building into the paddock. I just need to get away, this is insane, how is this happening? Rosie has always been there. I head towards Mercedes with my head down to avoid everyone. I smack hard into someone and look up see Lando rubbing is arm "Sorry Mate, I just wasn't paying attention" I say quickly feeling bad that I smacked into him with force. He looks at me and his face looks worried "Are you okay?" He asks me and that is all takes for me to breakdown. Lando immediately leads me down the pit lane to his room in the Mclaren suite. He swings the door open and leads me to sit down "What is going on?" He asks me and I'm actually glad that he is the one who is seeing me like this. "I shouldn't say but it isn't good" I manage through the sobs that are leaving my mouth. His brows furrow and I know he isn't going to let this go "I know we haven't been on good terms since everything that happened with Rosie, I know you aren't my biggest fan but you can talk to me" at the mention of Rosie's name I start crying harder "Is it Rosie? Is she okay? Have you had a fight?" He asks me quickly and I shake my head "She isn't okay and I suppose we are having a fight" I think back to how I reacted when she told me her news and the guilt starts to set in. "What is going on?" Lando asks now very concerned for my sister "She has cancer" I say and hearing it out loud makes it suddenly feel extremely real. Lando takes a sharp breath "Shit, well she is starting treatment right?" He asks panicked "She could be but she is refusing" he now looks extremely confused and I just find the words spilling out "She has made another choice, either way the cancer is terminal, she has 12 months with the choice she is making whereas with treatment she could have 5 years" I say and he looks broken "It's terminal?" He asks and I nod "It's stage 4, it was found too late" I tell him and he looks hurt "She has a reason for not having treatment, she is pregnant and she has chosen the baby" I say and the anger is starting to go, she is choosing life, just not her own. Lando looks down at his hands "She is having a baby?" He asks and I realise that this might really hurt him, he lost Juliette as well. "I'm sorry Lando, I didn't think" I say and he shakes his head "No this isn't about me, I am so sorry that this is happening" He tells me and I know people aren't at fault here "Thanks for looking out for me Lando but I had best get back to the garage" I say standing up "No problem, talk to me if you want" he assures me as I step out of the door.

Lando

Ouch! I look up and see that George has fully smacked into me "Sorry mate, I just wasn't paying attention" He says and looks at me and I can immediately tell that something is wrong. "Are you okay?" I ask him and he starts crying, gut wrenching sobs. Without thinking I start leading him towards my drivers room. Attempting to get him some privacy, I swing the door open and "What is going on?" I ask him as he takes a seat. "I shouldn't say this but it isn't good" He manages to tell me through the sobs that are leaving his mouth. "I know we haven't been on good terms since everything that happened with Rosie, I know you aren't my biggest fan but you can talk to me" I tell him and I notice that at the mention of Rosie's name he starts crying harder "Is is Rosie? Is she okay? Have you had a fight?" I ask at him really quickly and he looks devastated "She isn't okay and I suppose we are having a fight" he tells me and all of these different scenarios start going through my head "What is going on?" I asks very worried about Rosie "She has cancer" He tells me and I feel my heart almost stop. Cancer? This can't be happening, she will be okay "Shit, well she is starting treatment right?" I ask him panicking that Rosie is going to die "She could be but she is refusing" He says and I feel confused, why wont she get treatment? Does she have a death wish? George continues talking "She has made another choice, either way the cancer is terminal, she has 12 months with the choice she is making whereas with treatment she could have 5 years" he says and I feel my heart  break, she is going to die?  "It's terminal?" I ask and George nods "It's stage 4, it was found too late" he tells me and it hurts, she has no chance  "She has a reason for not having treatment, she is pregnant and she has chosen the baby" he tells me and I feel joy? She lost our baby but she has the chance to have another chance, she is choosing life, just not her own. I looks down at my hands "She is having a baby?" I ask and George looks worried, It only hurts because I'm not sure when I will get my second chance, I lost Juliette as well. "I'm sorry Lando, I didn't think" He says and I shake my head "No this isn't about me, I am so sorry that this is happening" I tell George as I know people aren't at fault here "Thanks for looking out for me Lando but I had best get back to the garage" he tells me standing up "No problem, talk to me if you want" I assures him as he steps out of the door. My feet move without me really thinking about it and I head to the Ferrari hospitality suite spotting Rosie in the cafe with Charles.

I walk over, standing out like a sore thumb in my McLaren uniform "Rose?" I ask to get her attention and she looks really confused that I'm here. I also feel confused now, I didn't really think about anything other than talking to her. "Lando?" Charles asks looking protectively towards her "I need to talk to you, if that okay?" I ask Rosie giving Charles a glance "Yeah, no problem" she stands "Shall we walk?" She asks me and I nod "Okay, I will see you in the garage?" She asks Charles who grins and kisses her on the head "Sure thing Mon Amour" he says and walks out ahead of us. We wander down the paddock together in silence, I know she is waiting for me to talk "I just spoke to George" I say and she looks up at me with wide eyes "What did he say?" She asks and I know she is going to be mad "He told me about your conversation this morning" I say deliberately leaving out the details "It wasn't his right to tell you" she tells me and I sense her anger "Rose, he is hurting, he needed someone" I explain and she sighs "I know but we are all processing this information" she tells me and I cant help but wipe the stray tear that is falling down her cheek "I can't imagine how difficult this is for you, and I know we haven't been on good terms but I care about you" I say and she gives me a small smile "I still care about you too Lando, thank you for being there for my brother" She says and I shrug "He was my best mate once" she nods "I'm sure you will be best mates again, he will need people when I'm gone" She says quietly "He also said that you are pregnant, congratulations" I say through the pang in my chest "thanks, did he explain that's why I've only got 12 months" She queries me "he did, but I get it, especially after Juliette" I say and she nods "Thank you, you're the first person who hasn't got mad about it" that's why George said they were fighting "George?" I ask and she nods "Also Charles to start off with but he understands now" they want the extra time with her, but she wants this baby and who can argue with that? "As I said to George I'm here if you need me" she leans into my side and wraps her arm around my waist "I hope we can be okay?" I ask her and she grins "Of course we are Lands, life is far too short" she tells me.

Rosie

I walk back towards Ferrari after Lando said goodbye at Mclaren. I feel really worried that the news is going to spread now, Lando promised to not say anything and I oddly trust him. It feels good that we can get along, I meant it when I said that life was too short, it is. I step into the garage and Charles raises his eyebrows at me and I walk over "Hi baby, are you okay?" I ask him as he wraps his arms around his waist "I am now, how was your talk with Lando?" He asks me "George told him everything, but its okay" I say and Charles looks relieved "He needs people just like you do, I know you don't want everyone to know but a few more might need too" he tells me and I cant but help agreeing with him " I know, I just need some more time" I say and he nods "I understand, can we tell my family?" I nod "Of course, they deserve to know" I say and he smiles "My mum wants to start wedding planning" he laughs "Oh, I hadn't really thought about the wedding" I tell him "I still want marry you as much as the day I asked you" he tells me and my heart soars "you still want to marry me?" He nods "Of course I do Mon Amour" he assures me and I can't help but feel excited.

*The next day*

"Right Carlos, Push lap now" I focus on the data and watch as Carlos makes his way to the line "Confirm" he says and he starts pushing. I look at Franny who looks happy with the sector times so far "he might get in the top 5" He says from beside me. I watch as he starts the final sector and I start getting hopeful as he goes purple and takes provisional pole "Well done, currently provisional pole" I say excitedly "still have Russell, Hamilton and Leclerc to go" I tell him "Please make your way to park ferme" I say "Thanks for today Rosie" he says and I stand up from my stool, feeling my hip seizing up. "P4 Carlos, confirmed P4. Great job today" I tell him and he whoops down the radio "What a good result, is Charles P3?" He asks "He is indeed, great day for the team" I say feeling really happy for my boys in red. I walk towards Jake and Adam "Both on the second row!" I say and they wrap me in their arms "It was a good day!" I feel fully content in the arms of my best friends "Thank you" I say to both of them and without any more words they know what's I'm thanking them for. I am beyond luck to call them my best friends.