Epilogue

Five years later

Charles

"Come on Annie, we are going to see mama" I hurry the 5 year old up, she is currently putting her shoes on in the hallway of George and Soph's house. Every year we stay here with them for a week, the same date as the day we lost Rosie. My heart aches, I can't believe we have reached 5 years without her. "Papa?" Annie asks tugging my hand and I realise I've been staring into space "come on petit fleur let's go!" I scoop her up onto my back and give her a carry to the car. George is waiting outside "sorry mate! Shoes can be quite tricky you know!" George reaches out and tickles Annie "I'm sure she is getting the hang of it! Such a smart girl" he compliments his niece before climbing into the passenger seat of my hired Audi for this week. I clip Annie into her seat before getting in the car and starting the engine.

This day every year is always difficult, they say that time is a healer and it has healed to an extent but I can't begin to describe the feeling of someone missing from your life. I have such happy memories but they always crash down when I realise that I won't see my beautiful girl again. Annie skips down the path towards where we buried Rosie, here in Oxford, where she belongs. Her family asked me if she could be buried here and I remember thinking what a stupid question, she wanted to be here. We follow the now familiar route towards the headstone that we chose. I have a bouquet of peonies, they were her favourites. Annie always likes to pick one out and lay it across the top of the stone.

George grabs a milk bottle of water from the vat of water kept here and I sink onto my knees in front of her grave. The stone reads

In loving memory of
Rosalind 'Rosie' Russell
Mother, wife, daughter and sister
"In a sky full of stars, I think I see you"

I chose the quote to represent our first dance song at our wedding. I remember we played it at the funeral, that was one of the darkest days of my life.

5 years ago

We pulled up outside of the church in the Oxfordshire countryside. I could see people walking in and I notice the hearse pull up behind us. I've always hated funerals, Jules' and Anthonie's were difficult but this one is going to destroy me. I slowly step out of the car with George at my side. We have both still been racing, remembering that Rosie told us to never stop, to achieve our best! George is on track to become world champion and I know all he wants is to do that for her. I see my mum and Arthur waiting at the door and I'm glad that they are here.

After the official part of the funeral is conducted I stand to say my part about Rosie. I clear my throat already feeling its thick with emotion. "Although I knew this day was coming, I tried to believe it wouldn't. Rosie was wait is the love of my life. She made every single say better by just being in it. She always had drive and passion for the sport many of us in this room are an integral part of. She was amazing, talented and her smile would light up a room. Everyone she met adored her, she made you feel special when you spoke to her, like you are the only person that matters. She cared, sometimes too much, it made her cry sometimes but she always stood up for what she believed in. I thought we had more time, I thought she would still be here today but life didn't have that as part of our plans. She loves our daughter, she did from the moment she knew of her, she always loved Juliette, who we sadly never got to meet. I know she is being looked after by the people who we have already lost, that all meant so much to most of us! I want everyone in this room to remember how strong and wonderful she was, I want that to be how she is remembered. Rosie, mon Ange, this isn't goodbye, we will see each other again" I finish my speech feeling the tears falling down my face. I walk back to my seat and George gives my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.