43.

Rosie

The sunlight streams through the window as my alarm sounds, we didn't notice that we hadn't shut the curtains last night. I look over to see Charles already awake "Morning Mon Ange" he greets me with a kiss "Morning, my future husband" I say and he gives me the biggest grin "I still can't quite believe you said yes" I laugh "What answer did you expect?" He shrugs "I mean you never know!" He tells me and I smack his chest playfully "when are we going to tell people?" I question and a knowing look crosses his features "Can we go see my family today?" I nod "Absolutely we can, telling people is going to make this feel completely real" he kisses me gently "that's because it is" he reminds me and I snuggle into his side "We do need to get up, everyone is arriving today" he tells me tickling my side earning himself giggles. I pull myself away from him and dash into the en suite bathroom, switching the shower on. Once I sort out my outfit for today I walk out of the bathroom looking for Charles, who as usual got ready in the main bathroom. "Mum has invited us for brunch, in an hour if that is okay?" He asks and I nod "Absolutely, with Arthur and Lorenzo be there too?" I ask "Yeah, they are both home for the race this weekend" of course they are "Is Arthur racing this weekend?" I ask knowing that F3 races don't happen at every circuit "not this weekend just F2 and W series" he explains and i feel bad for not knowing.

We decide to drive to his mums as he will get stopped every 2 minutes if we made the short walk there. Charles has a Ferrari 488 Pista here for when we are in Monaco. He unlocked the doors and I climb into the passenger seat. "They are all going to be really excited, Arthur knew this was coming" He warns  me and I think it's adorable that he spoke to his brother about his proposal "Charles, I know your family, like they are my own, just wait till the Russell's get there hands on you" he lets out laugh "Well I did ask your dad and George for permission" my jaw drops slightly "You asked George?" He nods "Well what did he say?" I ask as I'm desperate for information "He was beyond happy, he knows how much we have helped each other, he just wants you to be happy" he tells me and I couldn't be more grateful for having George as my brother. Charles parks the car in front of his family home. I suddenly feel nervous, not that they would be anything other than happy. I shake my head and pull myself together, Charles is waiting for me. I step out of the car and smooth down my dress "You look really pretty, now stop fussing" he tells me and I give him a smile before he takes my hand and we knock on the door.

After a few moments Pascale swings the door open and lets out a happy squeal "Charles! You haven't been home in too long" she scolds him "I'm sorry Mama, I will make sure it isn't as long next time" he promises and her attention turns to me "Rosie! Look at you, you're glowing!" She compliments me before pulling me in for a hug "Shall we head in, I'm almost finished with brunch" she tells us and Charles leads me into the house. We walk around the corner and I spot George? What? My gaze scans over the room and I see my parents, Soph, Jake and Adam "Oh my god" I say attracting everyone's attention "RoRo" George says bounding over "Why do you look this surprised? Did Charles not tell you that he planned all of this?" I shake my head and my eyes drift to my boy, who is catching up with Arthur. "No he didn't, I suppose he wanted it to be a surprise' I let go of George and turn my attention to my parents pulling both of them in for a hug "I have missed you both so much" I tell them and my mum brushes the hair out of my face "We have missed you too but we are both beyond proud of you" she tells me and I can't help the tears that fall "oh sweetheart don't cry" my dad says and Pascale calls all of us to the table. Jake and Adam say hello before they sit down and Soph sends me a wave. We are well overdue for a girly catch up, although I definitely don't want any details of her and my brother. I look over the food on the table and it reminds me of the summers I would spend here with Charles and his family, Pascale used to do this brunches every Sunday. I spot pancakes sat in front of George and gesture for him to pass them too me.  "Actually before we start, I have some news" Charles says and I stop in my quest of getting pancakes as I know he is going to tell everyone "I asked Rosie to marry me last night and she said yes" the whole room goes crazy with everyone jumping up and hugging us. "I am so happy for you both" Soph tells me as she is the first person to reach me and it means a lot for her to tell me that, she is one of my best friends after all. Jake then barges in "Let me see the ring" he demands and pulls my hand up "Oh its absolutely beautiful" He grabs Adam's attention and he gives me the biggest hug "you two are so perfect for each other" he tells me and I fully believe that he is right.

"You know Rosie he was really nervous asking for my permission, like he isn't a huge part of the reason you are this happy" he says scoffing and I knew already how much my dad likes Charles, well all of the Leclerc's actually. My mum pulls my left hand up and gasps "It's perfect, he knows you" she tells me knowingly "He really does mum, I can't believe I got this lucky" she pulls me in for a hug "Don't you ever lose sight of the fact that he is the lucky one" she whispers into my ear giving me cheek a kiss before pulling away. Pascale was next to talk to me "I would say welcome to the family but you have already been family so I'm beyond glad that Charles is making it official" she says and a warm feeling spreads across my skin. We are interrupted by my favourite Leclerc brother "YOU ARE ACTUALLY MY SISTER NOW" Arthur shouts as he pulls me into a hug and I realise then just home much bigger my family is going to be "I'm not sure I can handle having more than one brother" I joke but part of me is concerned "Nah you love us!" He tells me gesturing over his shoulder to Lorenzo. He is right I do and I know that this is exactly where I am supposed to be.

Once everyone settles down I finally get the pancakes I've been after, George even passed me the syrup. "Pascale that was incredible, thank you" I say sincerely trying to get comfortable on the chair as my hip is starting to cause shooting pains. Charles was right I really do need to get this sorted "I booked you an appointment this afternoon, 4pm" He tells me quietly noticing my discomfort "Thank you Amour" I say genuinely as he is taking my health more seriously than I am. We spend the early afternoon catching up with everyone and it is exactly what we needed and it felt so good to have both of our families together. "Sorry to cut this short but me and Rosie need to make a move" Charles announces to the room and I notice that its now 3.30 so we need to get to my appointment "Thank you all for coming, this has been overwhelming in the best way" I say and everyone comes over to day their goodbyes with pretty much everyone deciding to head off now too. "Pascale it was an absolutely wonderful afternoon, thank you" I say as she pulls me into a hug "Call me mama from now on!" She scolds me and I send her a grin in return. I look for Charles and see him messing about with his brothers "Time to go amour" I shout which gets his attention and he ruffles Arthurs hair ounce more before heading over to me "Sorry, lets go!" We say goodbye to everyone and head outside to Charles' car.

Once we arrive at the doctors office I feel my anxiety spike, what if this is something more serious and I've just been ignoring it for the past few months? We take a seat in the waiting area and I can't stoop my knee from bouncing "It's going to be okay, did you want me to come in with you?" Charles asks resting he hand on my knee which calms it down "if its okay can I go in alone?" I ask and he agrees straight away "Of course you can, its your appointment" he assures me as my name is called. I follow the nurse into the doctors office "Bonjour Madame Russell, Comment puis-je vows dire aujourd'hui?" (Hello Ms Russell, how can I help you today?) he asks me with a gentle smile. "Eh bien, j'ai eu cette douleur dans la partie superieure de la jambe eat de la hanche, j'ai l'impression que c'est dans l'os" (well I've been getting this pain in my upper leg and hip, it feels like it is in the bone) he nods "'d'accord, depuis combin de temps as-tu cette douleur?" (Okay, how long have you had this pain?) he asks and I feel embarrassed that is been this long "cela a commence il y a environ quatre mois, mais la douleur s'aggrave de plus en plus" (It started about four months ago but the pain has been getting increasingly worse) he looks at me more concerned and asks me to lay down on the examination table, he looks at my hip and take a sample of fluid from my joint to send the hospital for tests. When he was examining my hip he told me it is red and swollen and tender to touch which aren't good signs. I knew I had potentially left it too long "d'accord donc j'ai quelques idees sur ce que cela pourrait être mais je veux attendre les résultats du fluide avant de vows dinner in diagnostic, cependant je pense que c'est quelque chose de plus sérieux mais nous en saurons plus demian in fois que vos résultats seront arrière" (okay so I have a few ideas as to what this could be but I want to wait for the results of the fluid before I give you a diagnosis, however I do think that this is something more serious but we will know more tomorrow once your results are back) my heart sinks. Part of me knew that this might be something more sinister and that's why I have put off coming. I thank the doctor before leaving the office with his assurance that he will call me tomorrow with the results and the plan going forwards. I walk out into the waiting room and see my Monegasque sat waiting for me and I start to cry. He immediately runs over to me "what's happened?" He asks and I shake my head "We don't know yet but the doctor believes it is something serious" his face falls which feels like a kick to the stomach.