35.

George

I'm late, Rosie is going to kill me! She always likes me there for a briefing before the race, like our own unofficial one. I've got used to arriving later! I practically run down the paddock, weaving around the other people in an attempt to make up time. I see the entrance to the back of the garage and I increase my pace. I jog through the back of the garage and spot my sister immediately, hunched over her laptop in her usual seat. "Ro I'm sorry!" I say as I walk over expecting her to be mad at me "it's cool, I know Marcus didn't do these, make sure you are on time next weekend" she tells me with a soft smile on her face. What just happened? She is beyond calm "okay Rose, thanks" I sit in Marcus' chair knowing he won't be in for another half an hour "right let's discuss turn 4" she starts and I realise how good it is to have her back in the garage.

I pull my helmet on and slide down into the seat, this is it first GP of the season. "Radio check" Rosie calls over the radio "all clear" I let her know "great, let's have some fun" she tells me and I smile in my helmet "let's!" She doesn't respond and I see everyone clearing the grid. Head down, focus. I fix my gaze on to the 5 lights and wait for them to go out. I react immediately and get a good start. "Sainz is gaining, 2.2 a lap" Rosie tells me and I get my head down, he didn't make it to Q2,yesterday, she warned me he would come through the field. I'm currently sitting in p11 and I'm hoping to make up some more positions. Carlos passes on lap 12 "okay George, our race isn't with him, next up the road, Hülkenberg" she tells me and we settle into a nice pace.

Rosie

My eyes scan the data and I see what I believe to be a potential pit window, 9 laps time we will be clear from Kyvat who is currently 19 seconds behind "right George, push for the next few laps" I say and he pushes the a-firm button. I keep full focus on the track for the next 5 laps. "just went past Sainz, he is on fire, gonna be at least a safety car" George tells me and I look at the track data and see Carlos pulled up just after turn 3. "Okay George, yellow flag" I look for him on the track "Box Box, Box Box" I tell George and I see the mechanics ready behind me in the pit lane. A couple of seconds later I hear the car pull in, I spin and watch the stop "2.2 seconds, you will come out behind Ricciardo" I let George know "what position?" He asks "p7 head down, 30 laps to go" I keep an eye on the footage of the marshals.

"Chequered flag, P7 George, beautiful work!" I tell him "great work this weekend, let's keep pushing" he replies and I smile "right George, go to parc ferme, switch off, see you soon" I say "great to have you back Rose" I grin at Marcus before jumping off of my stool and walking back into the garage. I take a seat at my computer and start to compile the data for our debrief! "I can do this if you wanted to go see a certain Ferrari driver?" Marcus asks from behind me "it's okay, I can see him after debrief" he smiles "okay but the offer still stands" I shake my head, the whole garage is in good spirits and I'm glad that we've started off the season strong.

"Okay guys, that's all from me" I say after we went through George's and Nicholas' data from this weekend. "Perfect! Thank you everyone" Claire says and we stand up to leave "Rosie do you have a moment?" She asks and I nod "sure Claire" I follow her into her office "I just wanted to check in, I know it's been a difficult few months for you! How are you finding being back?" I smile softly "it's been good to be back!" I assure her "well if you need anything just ask" I nod "thank you Claire, for everything" she smiles "everyone wanted you back"

I walk through the garage and out into the paddock. I scan around and I'm surprised that Charles isn't there waiting for me, it's 7pm now and he is usually here making sure I leave! I look towards Ferrari and decide to go find him instead. I pull my phone out and dial his number but it just rings out. He might still be in his debrief? Suddenly I bump into someone "I'm so sorry" I say looking up and locking eyes with Lando. Shit. I step back "it's okay! Rosie" he tells me with a very sheepish smile "I wasn't paying attention" I try to explain "seriously it's cool, how are you?" He asks and the question throws me off "oh ummm I'm getting there" I say and he nods "I saw you and Charles are together" I look at him "we are" I confirm and I see his expression change "I am happy for you both, I know it's been a rough time" he doesn't even know the half of it "actually you don't know, without Charles I'm not sure I would still be able to come here and do my job" I say getting angry that he thinks he knows how it's been for me. He holds his hands up "I miss her too" I keep calm "nothing we can do, she is gone" I say and a hand rests on my back. The relief that runs through me from turning and seeing Charles is indescribable.