30.

Leaving day!

Rosie

I'm finally allowed to escape this hospital today, I can't wait to get home. However that means that home won't be what I remember, what if my memories never come back? I feel like the last 18 months have been more important than I originally thought! My parents and George are going to be here soon to bring me home and I'm glad they wanted to be here. A knock sounds on the door and I look up to see Charles? My heart expands in my chest and I smile at him as he catches my eye "Hey Mon Amour" he says walking into the room spotting me packing "am I early?" He questions "no, George, mum and Dad should be here soon" I tell him and I can't help the awkwardness I feel knowing that we were something before I forgot. I place my phone charger in the bag before zipping it up. I turn to look at Charles "Alex told me everything" his eyes widen "what? Why?" I frown "Lando came to visit and Alex showed up and he kicked him out which obviously I didn't understand and I made him tell me everything" I say and he looks uncomfortable "about us?" I nod my head "I thought I would have more time to figure out what to say to you" Charles says and I gesture to the chair as I take a seat on my bed "you don't need to say anything Charles" he shakes his head "I do, we were about to face the future together and I've felt lost since you're accident" he looks upset so I stay quiet to let him continue "I lost you to Lando and I swore I wouldn't lose you again, but the accident took you from me and I can't fix your memory" hearing his words reminds me of just how difficult this must have been for him "I'm sorry, I desperately want to remember" he nods and grabs my hand which causes tingles to run up my arm "I am so in love with you Rosie and I'm not giving up on you" I feel something close to relief at his words and I squeeze his hand "perhaps we can start again?" I question and his whole face lights up "please!" He rests his cheek in my palm and there is a familiarity that I find comforting.

After a few moments the door opening disturbs us "RoRo it's time to go home" George shouts bounding through the door with my parents behind him "oh Charles I didn't know you were here" I see his panic "I asked him to come" I say and George nods "that's cool!" I slide off the bed reluctantly removing my hand from Charles "am I free to go?" I ask and my mum nods "all the paperwork is done, let's get you out of here" I turn to Charles and take his hand, it feels right. I'm still shaky on my feet as I haven't been using my legs for prolonged amounts of time.

We make it out to the car and I spot the Ferrari parked close by and I manage to put two and two together and realise it belongs to Charles, it's a Portofino! "Can I come in your car?" I ask probably looking like a kid on Christmas! "If that's okay?" He looks over at my family and my dad has a huge grin "of course, can't keep Rosie away from fast cars!" He jokes leading George and Mum towards the Mercedes that I've never seen before. "Come on then" Charles says unlocking the car and I can't help running my fingers over the cool metal taking in the curves. I try to elegantly climb into the seat but I'm not certain I succeeded. I sit gazing at all of the controls and buttons and I can't believe I'm sat in a Ferrari with Charles Leclerc. It's definitely a pinch me moment.

I felt the most comfortable around Charles that I have around anyone since I woke up. I feel like there is a door in my mind that I can't open but I know if I do I will know why I'm so comfortable with Charles. I look out of the windscreen seeing the countryside fly past as Charles takes the familiar roads to George's house. My hand subconsciously slips to my stomach and I can feel Charles gaze on it. I feel guilty that I can't remember my baby, I can't grieve because I can't feel the loss.

We pull up in the driveway and I freeze in my seat, we have spoken since I climbed into the car but I don't want to leave his comforting presence just yet. Charles looks at me as I'm not making a move to get out of the car "you okay mon amour?" He questions and I shake my head "can we keep driving?" I ask and he nods "of course we can" he puts the Ferrari into reverse and pulls back out of the driveway "I know exactly where to go" he tells me and heads off away from Oxford.

After a few minutes we pull up next to a lake, we are the only car here. "Come on" Charles gestures to the door handle and I climb out of the car into the silence of the countryside. I walk slowly towards the bench on the edge of the lake and I take a seat "it's beautiful" I say as Charles takes the seat next to me "I found it whilst you were in hospital" he tells me and I can imagine him sitting here. We sit in silence for a few moments "I know Alex told you everything" he starts and I nod "but he couldn't tell you about the conversation we had" my brows furrow in confusion "you came to my hotel room and told me you loved me but needed time to get over Lando" he tells me and I feel a tugging at the door but my memories remain blank "I just wish I could've told you my feelings sooner and we might have had our chance" he tells me looking down into his hands. I softly touch the side of his face "there is something there, I feel safe and comfortable with you more than anyone else" his eyes light up "so you can remember feelings?" He questions and I shake my head "it's more like there is familiarity there but I don't know exactly why" I explain trying to make sure he understands.

We sit on the bench for a few hours, chatting about life before 18 months ago, the life that I can remember. "I'm going to Williams on Wednesday to see if being there helps trigger any memories" I tell him and he grins "that sounds like a great idea, I know you wanted to get back to work but it's difficult when you can't remember your job" I nod "I feel like I'm living someone else's life now and it sucks, I can't remember my job, my friends and my relationships" I feel myself getting frustrated "perhaps once you have been to Williams you should come to Monaco and stay with me? It was somewhere you spent a lot of time in the last 12 months" the idea of spending extra time with Charles makes me feel happy so I take it as a good sign "that would be great actually" he grins "perfect, well it's a GP this weekend if you wanted to come as my guest in the Ferrari garage?" My inner motorsport nerd is screaming internally at the idea of being sat in the Ferrari garage "yes" I say quicker than I realised as he has a smirk on his face.

Wednesday - Williams

"You ready RoRo?" George asks from the drivers seat, I feel sick, this place doesn't feel familiar at all! I nod my head reluctantly and slide out of the car. My feet it the gravel of the car park floor and I take a deep breath before walking to George who is already on the footpath. The crunching of the gravel under my trainers is oddly comforting, a familiar sound in a new place. Once I'm by George's side he wraps my arm around his and I know that's his way of letting me know that he is here. I see the doorway of the reception and I don't remember entering here before. I walk through the door and spot a woman on reception. "Rosie! You are back it is beyond good to see you" she glances down and my now flat stomach with a frown but doesn't comment further "Hi Jess" George says and I give her my best attempt at a smile before George scans both of our passes to let us into the factory.

We arrive outside of an office with my name on the door "so this is where you work" George tells me and I twist the door handle allowing it to swing open before I enter the room "has anyone been in here?" I ask sporting an takeaway coffee cup on the desk "nope, it was recommended to leave it exactly as you left it in hopes it might trigger a memory" I nod and walk over to the desk. I immediately spot a photograph of Me, George, Lando and Alex on the corner of my desk and I also see a cute selfie of me and Charles which I can't remember taking. I tentatively sit down on the office chair and spot the pages of data and graphs that are occupying the desk. I lift them up and see it's George's data and telemetry. George is looking at me expectantly and I just shake my head "I'm sorry" He immediately comes over and wraps me in a hug "don't apologise it was worth a try" I nod my head "I just want to remember"

I'm currently waiting at the airport with George for our flight to Brazil. It's late in the evening and I'm still trying to dredge up memories from the factory but none will come. George was supposed to be flying out with the team but once Charles told him the plan he changed the flight to mine. I feel like I haven't been to Heathrow for a very long time but I know that isn't true. I found packing for this trip difficult as most of the clothes in my wardrobe I don't recognise. I've also had to pack for my Monaco week with Charles and I'm not sure what I will need for a stay during October but George reassured me that Charles wouldn't mind me borrowing a jumper. "You ready?" George asks pulling me out of my day dream "yeah let's go!"