XXXIII

"Hey," Pierre smiled at his phone when he accepted Sara's FaceTime call.

"Ça va?" Sara asked and walked on the stairs to leave the metro station in Paris. A caring smile curved on her lips when she saw Pierre.

He nodded. "Fine... just living life," he replied and ran his hand through his hair. "You?"

"Living life on autopilot," she sighed and walked towards her apartment. "It was my first day back to work, and it was... intense. I have so much respect for you, how you still sat in that car."

Pierre pressed his lips into a thin line and nodded slowly.

"Anyway, I just wanted to call and ask how you are doing," Sara smiled and looked investigatively at her screen. Pierre was sitting in a house she had never seen before, but whatever...

"Well, you know, I have to move on. I have no time to pause my life for a moment," Pierre replied and closed his laptop - he was working on some notes from the team. "Perhaps that's the best for now." He looked around, and his face straightened. "Frenky, come on! Not the kitchen counter again." Pierre got up from the sofa and walked to the kitchen.

"Frenky?" Sara confusedly asked. "Who's that?"

He held his phone in front of him and slightly bent through the knees. "Meet Frenky," Pierre smiled and filmed Frenky like Pierre was making a selfie of him and Frenky; he meowed and looked at Pierre. "Don't walk over the kitchen counter, buddy," Pierre said and lifted the cat off the counter to place him on the floor.

"Okay," Sara mumbled and squeezed her eyebrows together. "You have a cat?"

"Oh, no, this is Jules's cat."

"Jules?" Sara asked again and looked slightly disgusted. "As in Juliette?"

"Yup."

"And why are you with her cat?"

Pierre sat down on the sofa again. "Because I am at her flat?" He was saying this like it was a question, in the same tone Sara did. There was silence, a sign Pierre understood. "We just talked. I was in the neighbourhood and..."

"She's there with you?"

"No, she's at work right now," Pierre answered, slightly annoyed. "Sara, don't do that."

"Do what?" Sara asked and raised her eyebrows. "I'm not doing anything. I don't say anything."

"But I know what you are thinking."

"Good, then I don't have to say it," Sara breathed and opened the front door of the apartment building. She started to say something about her work, and Pierre listened carefully.

At that moment, the front door opened, and a minute later, Juliette entered the living area. She looked at Pierre and smiled, but didn't say anything because she knew he was calling. Pierre looked at her and gave her a warm smile.

It was an odd situation to Juliette; Pierre was sitting on her sofa while FaceTiming Sara. She didn't expect the first thing to happen, but hearing Sara's voice in her flat? Never. She uncomfortably checked her mail and greeted Frenky.

After ten minutes, Pierre ended the call with Sara. He got up from the sofa and walked towards Juliette while a smile curved on his face. "Hey," he said.

The corners of Juliette's mouth curled up. "Hello," she smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"How was work?" He wrapped his arms around her waist and looked at her.

"It was good to work again," she satisfied answered and nodded. "How was your day?"

Pierre shortly looked at Juliette's lips before looking in her eyes again. "It was good," he said. "Relaxed."