XLV

The team was in America for the next race. They all worked from the hotel or engineering truck at the track. But after a long work week, it was time for some fun. It was an excursion day. The crew of Mercedes gathered around the ice hall nearby the track.

"Hello, hello, hello," Delilah cheerfully said when she arrived at the group.

"Hey," Juliette smiled and placed her bag on the ground between her legs when she joined as well.

"Ready?" Liam asked curiously.

Juliette was snapping her knuckles and looked around her, observing the area. Not everybody had arrived yet. It felt somehow odd to be at a sports hall like this. The hall was just a sports hall, nothing special about it. However, she was here for an excursion speed skating.

"Never been more ready before," Delilah confidentially said. "Imma beating yo arse." She shared a cheeky smile with Liam and raised her eyebrows.

"I swear to God, you two act like a married couple," Chris, a mechanic, said annoyed. "Go make love or something."

"She's my work wife." Liam proudly wrapped his arm around Delilah, who wasn't looking too happy with it. "We are basically married. Right, love?"

"Do not touch me," she replied and pushed Liam away.

"She loves me so much," he warmly smiled.

Juliette raised her eyebrows and looked impressed at Delilah; there was more going on than they showed. Delilah rolled her eyes. "Speed skated before?" She plucked her skin, regretting the question already.

"Actually, I was a speed skater," Lars confessed, chief of the engine. "I used to compete and stuff. I barely have time for it now, but I used to be pretty good. As I say myself." He grabbed a cigarette and passed the package to the person next to him. "I am curious to see if I still have it in me."

Zara looked surprised. "Like a professional or more like a local speed skater? Man, we're spending more time together, and I still hear things I have never heard of before." She looked at Juliette. "Just like Juliette, do you smoke?"

"Nope," Juliette breathed and took a cigarette from the package. She put it in her mouth and gave it back to Lars. "I do not." Lars passed her the lighter, and she lightened the cigarette.

"Bro, the fuck," Delilah chocked. "Since when do you even touch those things?"

"Since I was seventeen," Juliette honestly replied and inhaled the toxic substance. "But Lars, you are a speed skater?" She had to change the subject to avoid more questions, justly questions. Juliette didn't even know why she was smoking again. It started after Mexico, just because she wanted to do something that felt bad. And now she couldn't stop.

"More like on a local level, but I was still one of the bests," Lars answered the question.

"We've got a whole athlete in our team." Liam ran his hand through his hair. "Ever considered joining a championship?"

"Mate, have you seen the Dutch? I'm nothing compared to them. I wouldn't even qualify if I applied," Lars laughed and shook his head. "I'm not that good."

Juliette covered her nerves with a laugh. That is what I said too...

The last crew members joined, too, making themselves entering the hall. Everybody had a few minutes to change and move to the hall itself. The website instructed to wear comfortable, but warm sports clothes.

A few members were speed skaters for fun, so they wore their suit and brought their own skates. Juliette brought her own skates as well, nothing was more comfortable than your own skates.