Ch.18 On the Run

Hikari's Pov

I sat next to Yua on the train headed towards Yokohama. We left the church early this morning. Neither one of us knew where we were going. We decided to go somewhere so we can figure out what to do. We just had to be away from our parents. That night after everything that happened Yua still tried to reason with Dad.

"Dad" Yua pleaded, grabbing his shirt sleeve. "I just want you to listen to me for once. There's weird things happening to Hikari and I-."

'Go to bed. I'm too tired to deal with this." He deadpanned, snatching his shirt from Yua's grip. There was no emotion on his face and no sincerity in his voice.  I watched him walk past her up to his bedroom.

"Too tired to care about your kids huh? It's like you don't want us here." Yua whispered.

"It'd be easier wouldn't it?" He snapped from the top of the stairs. Maybe things would be easier if we didn't adopt you two. You were suspicious about living her since day one. If it wasn't for you mom I would have given you back."

I shook Yua, waking her up from her slumber. She opened her eyes and yawned. The train stopped and we quickly got off the train. We found a small hotel nearby that was next to a convenience store. We stopped there first to stock up on food and water. Getting back to our room I plopped down on the bed. I took my phone out and stared at the wallpaper. There were no new messages or missed

"No calls or texts?" Yua asked, laying down next to me. I shook my head tossing my phone beside me.

"We left yesterday and our so-called parents don't even care. I would say I'm shocked but I'm really not."

Yua and I ate breakfast that consisted of juice and pancakes. After we ate I took a shower. I took off my jacket and shivered because of how cold the room was. I pulled off my beanie and tossed it in the pile of my clothes on the bathroom floor. Something about it felt off. I quickly turned back and picked the beanie up. This wasn't mine. It was Akio's. I guess when I was packing I grabbed his hat and not mine. I shook my head, placing Akio's beanie on the bathroom counter. Yua isn't gonna let me hear the end of this is she?  When I came out of the shower Yua was under the blankets snoring loudly. There was a chair by the window so I decided to sit there and read for awhile. Well attempt to read over my sister's snoring. The sky was gray and cloudy. It looked like it could rain or maybe even snow. A few minutes later it started to rain. I watched the rain fall down and leave droplets on the window. I ran my fingers over the cold glass turning the water into frozen ice. Placing my palm on the window it started to heat up and immediately melt. The window turned hot making me move my hand back. What don't tell me I have fire powers now? The room was cold so I grabbed a blanket off the bed and wrapped myself in it. Before I knew it I had fallen asleep.

Yua's pov

I sat at the edge of the lake watching the ducks take a late night swim. The moonlight beamed down on the water beautifully.

"Yua you're gonna freeze" Haru said from behind me, making me jump. He wrapped his jacket around me and sat beside me. He was still dressed in his training gear meaning he must have just gotten back.

"What are you doing out here anyways? It's late."

"Feeding the ducks."  I told him handing him the bag of bread crumbs. He tossed a hand full and the ducks gathered around. It was silent between us but it was a comfortable silence. The only sound came from the ducks happily eating.

"Still thinking about what your mom said?" Haru finally said. I nodded bringing my knees to my chest.

"It's a lot of responsibility. Taking care of my sister and one day taking over the kingdom. I don't know if I'm ready for that yet.