Ch.1 Who's watching us

Yua's POV

"Yua mom said breakfast is ready. Hurry up!" My younger sister yelled from the other side of my bedroom door. I groaned sitting up and sliding on my slippers. I rubbed my eyes trying to wake myself up. Why was that dream so weird? I thought to myself. The only thing I could remember was running away and a voice telling me to  keep running. "Why do I feel like I know that voice?"

" I'm tired, go away" I said to my sister as I  finally opened the door. " Can't I sleep in peace?"

"Mom called you 30 minutes ago and you never came down. We're gonna be late....... again because of you." I rolled my eyes at her. "I'll be down in a minute."

"I see you finally joined us." Dad laughed while eating his breakfast."Well yeah thanks to Hikari." I replied, taking my seat at the table.

"Have a good day. I'll be back late so your dad is making dinner tonight." Mom explained putting our bento boxes in our backpacks. Hikari looked at me with a disgusted look. "Do you think he's gonna try to make us eat miso soup again? And the rice balls?" she whispered horrified. 

"Um we'll cook tonight instead." I chimed in thinking about the last time dad tried to cook for us. He somehow left the soup and rice on too long and it got stuck to the bottom of the pot. We had to get a new rice cooker because he burnt the rice. We ended up with take-out that night.

I had that dream replaying in my head over and over. I know it probably didn't mean anything but I couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Oneesan, are you okay? You were quiet the whole way here. I asked you what we were making for dinner but you didn't say anything." Hikari asked worriedly when we arrived at our school Meguro Academy. I looked at her smiling. "No, I'm fine. I'll see you after class."  I hugged her and quickly walked to  class. I know she didn't buy it. For some reason we've always been able to feel each other's emotions. Any time either of us were upset the other one knew.

I walked into class 4-a and sat at my desk pulling out my homework from last night. It was just a dream. I told myself again. There's no need for me to get worked up over nothing. I sat in class lost in my thoughts  when I felt my phone buzz in my uniform pocket.

HIKARI❤️🌺😜: let's eat lunch together

                                    YUA🥀: 👍🏾

HIKARI❤️🌺😜: Where are we eating?

YUA🥀: Meet me at the water fountain.

I tried to get through my next classes without falling asleep. I sighed in relief as the bell for lunch finally rang. I ran my hands through my red hair. Mid- terms were coming up so we've been doing more work than normal.

When I get to the fountain Hikari is already there.

"I told you I was fine."  I reassured her by noticing the expression on her face. Hikari and I weren't much different looks wise. People always confused us for the other one. Hikari was a year younger than me and had a more playful look. While I had a more serious "mature" look as our mom would say. The main difference in our looks were our eyes and beauty marks. I had green eyes while my sister had grey eyes. I had a mole on my lip on the left and Hikari had a dimple on her right cheek. I listened to my sister ramble about her math test she just took. I laughed watching her complain about how much she hates the subject until I felt eyes on me. It felt familiar. I looked up and locked eyes with the eyes that I once loved but now hated. In front of me was the person I fell in love with. The reason I can't fall in love again. Haru. The memories of him came rushing back.

Everything was going fine that day until he left me. Haru had been distant so we agreed to go on a date. We started the day at Mystic cafe and ended the night at the local festival. The whole day Haru looked sad. He reassured me that he was okay but I knew something was up. We dated for two and a half years and I knew when it was lying. That night was the first time he told me he loved me. When he dropped me off at the front door he told me he didn't want to be with me. "Haru what do you mean? You just told me you loved me."

"Im sorry Yua. I can't be with you anymore."

"I love you Haru. Whatever it is we can fix it." I cried.

"I'm sorry." He said once again before walking away leaving me there to cry on my front porch confused and upset. I could see his dimly lit figure fade away into the darkness.

That was 7 months ago. After that night he stopped showing up to school. Haru stopped answering my calls and texts messages. When I went to his house to see him no one would be home.

"Haru.." I whispered not loud enough for him to hear me. He smiled before walking away.

"Did you see that? The nerve of him to smile at me after he hurt me the way he did." I rant to Hikari.

"Don't be so hot-headed." Hikari mumbled, stuffing her face with her rice balls making a mess as per usual.

"Well he shouldn't be so shameless you know. And stop stuffing your face."I said huffing and wiping her face with my sleeve.  Every time I saw him all the memories we shared the good and the bad come rushing back. Then the pain follows. The pain of him breaking my heart. He's the reason why I can't ever fall in love again.

"Yua-chan we still need tofu and daikon for the kimchi jjigae." Hikari chirped in front of me grabbing a few boxes of almond flavored Pocky off the shelf and tossing them into the basket. She cheerfully walked down the aisle adding stuff in the basket that we didn't need. " I hope you have money for that." I warned as Hikari added ramen into the basket.

"I don't because you're paying." she smiled before turning down the next aisle. I rolled my eyes , pushing the basket following behind her.

"I can't believe you made me spend $20 on Pocky and ramen." I muttered looking down at the receipt.

"You love me though." Hikari cheered, opening the Pocky offering me one. I shook my head no and Hikari shrugged while reaching for the bags.

"I do, so you're lucky." I laugh out

I had forgotten about the dream while being with Hikari. Things were always easier when we were together. Mom always said that we've been joint at the hip. I was listening to my sister ramble on about the manga she was reading while we walked to the train to go home. Something didn't feel right.

"And the next book comes out friday. I already pre-ordered it." Hikari rambled on. I stopped in my tracks glancing at  my sister. She stopped walking and looked back at me with the same concerned look she had been wearing all day. "Why'd you stop?"

"I feel like we're being watched."