Ch.5 Suspicion

"Hikari sit the rice on the table and tell you sister dinner is ready." Hikari nodded at her mother.

"Where is dad? Is he not having dinner with us again?" Hikari wondered noticing her father's absence.

"No he's working late again." Naomi said, placing a pitcher of water on the table.

"He's been coming home late a lot. Is everything okay?" Yua asked, coming down the stairs.

"Yeah don't worry about him. There's some things going on at work so he has to work late for a while." Noami smiled at her children but anyone looking at her knew there was something wrong. Yua gave her sister a concerned look but Hikari was busy eating her curry. Yua sighed, picking up her spoon to eat but had an unsettling feeling.

"You don't think dad is cheating on mom right?" Yua asked, sitting on her sister's bed. Hikari, who was sitting on the floor organizing her bookshelf, turned to face her older sister.

"What makes you think that?" She questioned putting her stuffed animals on top of the bookshelf.

"C'mon you saw the look on mom's face when she said dad wasn't having dinner with us again. She looked hurt just like that last time he started coming home late."

"And you think it means he's having an affair? Yua you always jump to conclusions. Like that time you thought everyone forgot your birthday but we were really planning a surprise party for you. Or the time you thought Hisako had a crush on me but she liked someone else?" Yua shrugged, laying on Hikari's bed hitting her head on a book.

"Ow, why do you have your manga lying around?" She groaned, rubbing her head.

"Why are you laying in my bed?" Hikari shot back. Hikari pushed her sister over and lied next to her.

"But you saw the look on mom's face and dad has been acting strange. You know what happened last time he started coming home late."

Koshiro, who are those people and what do they want from you? The two sisters peaked out the room watching their parents argue. "Do you owe them money?"

"Keep your voice down." Koshiro told his wife stepping closer to her. She pushed him away.

"Whatever business this is, don't get us tangled up in your mess! Korshiro I'm sick and tired of having to clean up when you mess up. Whatever happens this time i'm done."

"You'll come running back. You always do." They kept yelling, throwing insults back and forth. The sisters went back to Yua's room and waited for their parents to calm down. They both sat on the floor scared of what would happen next. Hikari laid in her sister's lap. An hour later the door swung open.

"Pack your bags. You're staying with your grandparents for awhile." Koshiro said.

"What? You're shipping us off to Daegu?" Yua said getting up from her position on the floor.

"It's only for a little. Plus it's summer break and you were going anyway."

"Just because you and mom get into a fight that doesn't mean you can send us to Korea." Yua snapped.

"Just listen to what I said. Go pack right now."

"And why should we? You're not even our real dad. So why should we listen to you?" Yua yelled back, stepping closer to Koshiro but Hikari grabbed her Hand pulling her back.

"Don't use that tone with me. Both of you go pack right now." Koshiro warned slamming the bedroom door.

"We both know something happened while we were at grandma's and grandpa's. When we got back they acted as if nothing happened." Hikari nodded agreeing with her older sister.

"Why don't we just ask him." Hikari said

"You're bold as hell." said a shocked Yua

"I have to be cause you're not." Hiakri said sarcastically

"Why do you keep coming for me?" Yua whined at her sister

"Because you make it easy for me." Hikari laughed. Yua jumped at the sound of a car door being slammed from downstairs.

"Dad's home,'' Hikari said, opening the window to be nosy. "I think he's on the phone." Hikari told me.

"Ok?" questioned Yua

"Didn't you just say dad was suspect so get over here." Hiakri whispered to Yua. Yua creeped over to the window and they quietly observed their father.

"You said that was handled." Koshiro snapped pacing back and forth. "This project is way too important. Fix this now." Koshiro said in an intimidating tone. Koshiro became angrier as the other person on the line spoke.

"If you value your life then you'll find a solution." Koshiro hung up the phone. Suddenly looking up.

The girls quickly ducked back down so they wouldn't be seen. Hearing the front door shut they decided to confront him about why he has been late recently.

"Should we be worried cause dad just threatened that poor person's life." Hikari whispered to Yua.

"Please dad couldn't hurt a fly. Probably just a figure of speech." Yua replied.

"Really?" Hikari looked at Yua with a done look. "You jump to conclusions every time but now you wanna say "It's a figure of speech?" You really confuse me."

Yua ignored Hikari running downstairs into the living room. "Hey dad!" Yua yelled excitedly.

"What are you two still doing up?" Koshiro asked, hanging up his coat.

"You could at least say hi back but ok." Hikari rolled her eyes, turning her head away from Koshiro.

Koshiro looked at Hikari for a second before giving a small smile to her. "You're right, I'm sorry how about a hug from the both of you?" Koshiro asked with his arms open.

Yua ran right in and Hikari thought about it for a second before doing the same. The hug only lasted a couple seconds before they pulled apart.

"Can I ask you something?" Yua asked Koshiro curiously.

"What's up?"

"Are you cheating on mom? You come home late a lot and there's a noticeable difference in mom when she talks about you ." said a concerned yet bold Hikari.

Koshiro sighed "Hikari tone it down a bit. I'm not cheating, just a lot of work to do." explained Koshiro "Has anyone ever told you to stay out of grown folks business?" he laughed.

Hikari rolled her eyes "Not when my mother's heart is involved but thanks for the tip."

Yua was dying laughing watching them go. "Hikari just drop it, dad said no." Yua chimed in finally.

"I did. I said thank you for the tip."

Koshiro slapped his hands on his face as Yua dragged Hikari back upstairs. "My kids sure are something."he chuckled.

Walking up the stairs a few hours later into Hikari's room where both of his daughters were. "Girls." he called opening the door.

"Yea" they replied in unison turned to face him.

"I'll try to get home for dinner as much as I can. I love you guys." Koshiro told them.

"Thanks dad, that means a lot." smiled Hikari

"We love you too dad." Nodded Yua

"Alright. Now go to bed it's late." Koshiro told us shutting the door as he left.

"He's crazy. It's only 1 AM. How late is that? Yua asked, looking at Hikari.

"Don't ask me, I'm always up." Hikari said as they started laughing.

"I meant it you two!" they heard Koshiro from the hallway.

"Ok well good night since dad ruined our party." Hikari slumped back on her bed, closing her laptop.

"Right so rude. But good night sis. Love you." Yua replied as she walked out of the room.