>Chapter Five<

"Hey Kara," Michael waved me over as I walked into the Chocolate Koala. "Over here!"

I walked over to where he stood near the register. The café was crowded with the afternoon rush. I smiled as I stopped next to him in line. "Hi," I said a bit awkwardly.

"You know what you wanna get?" he asked, gesturing to the menu behind him.

"Yeah. I usually get a caramel mocha," I nodded. "Plus, I need to get a chocolate croissant." I laughed.

"Yeah. As of today, you will have lived!" he laughed softly. "So we're set then?"

"Yeah," I nodded, stepping up as we were called.

"Hi. What can I get you two today?" asked the guy behind the counter. He had a beanie on and a nose piercing. I'd seen him almost every time I came, and he seemed to be starting to recognize me.

"I'll have my usual caramel mocha, as well as a chocolate croissant," I smiled.

"Mixing it up today, huh?" he joked, punching in the order. "And for you Michael? The regular?"

"Yup," Michael grinned, pulling out his wallet. "I'll pay for yours, Kara. Don't worry," he said to me as I went to pull out some money. He paid like he said he would and we stood for a moment, waiting for our coffee.

"Venti caramel mocha and a chocolate chip frappé?" called the girl behind another counter. I walked over and thanked her for the coffee, then gave Michael his drink and found a table.

"So. Chocolate chip frappé, huh?" I smirked at his girlish coffee.

"What? It's good!" he said as he took a sip. "At least I'm secure enough in my masculinity to drink it in public."

We spent the next two or so hours talking about school, my life in America, and the differences between the two countries. Then we got on the subject of boys.

"So how many boyfriends have you had?" Michael asked as he took another sip of coffee. My own was gone by now, so I just held my empty cup and looked around at the emptying café.

"Um, none, actually," I mumbled.

"None?!" he asked incredulously. "Seriously? I'd have thought you were breaking hearts left and right!" he joked.

"Yeah, well, it doesn't help much when you're socially awkward," I smiled.

"You talk to me easily enough," Michael pointed out.

"Yeah, but you talked to me first. I suck at starting conversations with people who are more popular than me. Which means everyone."

He looked at me closely, eyes scrutinizing my face. "I can't believe people aren't all over the gorgeous new American girl..." he muttered. "What's up with Luke?" His accent made Luke's name sound different than I was used to hearing it.

"Nothing. Just being polite, I guess. People like him don't talk to me. It just doesn't happen," I said and looked down at my cup again.

"Then you must be completely blind, Kar. 'Cause the way he looks at you? It's like you're a new experiment that needs to be tested. And I'm not sure how I feel about that."

"An experiment? Wow. Thanks, Michael." I rolled my eyes.

"What?" he said defensively. "I'm just saying."

"We should probably get going. My mom is gonna start worrying," I said, feeling the need to change the subject to anyone but myself.

"Yeah. We probably should go," Michael agreed and stood. We grabbed our trash and walked out, recycling the bags and cups.