>Chapter Twenty-Eight<

I sat across from Luke at the Chocolate Koala, staring at the steam rising from the little hole in the lid of my drink. Neither of us talked, just sat there awkwardly. I honestly had no idea of what to say, so I kept my lips pressed together into a line.

"Kara, before you get upset, please let me explain what happened..." Luke whispered after the longest time. I hardly heard him over the din of other costumers and the machines making drinks, but I simply nodded.

"Okay. So we were dancing and all of a sudden you weren't with me. I started looking around for you, yelling your name and trying to find you. I was afraid something happened, though I'm not sure what. Then out of nowhere, Kelsey shows up in front of me." I bristled at the mere mention of her name. "She was going on about how she still loved me and how she'd take me back if I just asked and-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," I cut him off, looking up at him. "She said she'd take you back?! Does that mean you went out at one point?" I felt my chest contract. Had Luke really done things with that...that...monster of a girl?

He let out a long sigh, a look of regret coming over his features. "Yes," he answered slowly. "But I left her because of all the things she did. All the people she terrorized and all the lives she ruined. At one point in my life..." he paused, scrubbing a hand over his face. "I-I was as bad as her..." he muttered, his eyes on the table. "I found excitement and happiness in making other people's lives as miserable as mine. I was so wrong to do that."

"Yes, you were," I agreed, getting his eyes on me once again. "I'm sorry, but I don't really believe that you'd be like her," I shrugged, making him smile a bit.

"Well then your faith has been misplaced because some people might even say I was worse than her." His smile turned sad and filled with remorse. "I used girls, I beat nerds up..." He had to pause, and I thought I saw tears spring into his gorgeous blue eyes. "I did awful things to myself though, too. I made horrible decisions regarding my own well-being. I tried to convince myself that what I was doing was all okay, but now I see that I really was worse than Kelsey," he whispered.

I was lost for words. If this was all true, I wasn't sure how I felt being around Luke, much less being his girlfriend. "Look, we don't have to talk about this here if it's too public," I said quietly after a pause. "Y-you can come over to my house and we can talk there. My mom will be going to work in about an hour, but we can go in my room if you want."

"You said you wanted to see my place didn't you?" He smiled slightly. "Would you like to come over now?"

I thought about the offer for a moment. Did I really want to be alone with Luke after what he just told me? If we were at my house, I could make him leave. But if I went to his flat and got uncomfortable I'd have to be the one to leave and risk humiliation. Was I willing to do that for a boy who, even though I knew quite a bit about, I still didn't really know?

The answer to that question wasn't totally certain, but I decided, possibly against my better judgement, to go.

"That would be nice," I nodded and gave him a small smile.

"Alright then. Should we go now?" He started to stand, and I did as well.

"Yeah. Let's go. We have quite a bit to talk about..."

"Do you want me to drive or just follow me?" We left the café together but not physically close.

I thought for a moment. If he drove it would be easier, but would also probably mean he'd have to drive me back if I wanted to leave to get my own car. "I can ride with you." If I was going to do stupid things, I might as well do it thoroughly.