>Chapter Forty-Nine<

The only thing I could think about was what I was going to say as I walked into school on Monday.

Obviously I couldn't just say, "Oh yeah. I had a panic attack after my wonderful boyfriend took me to an amazing concert, then I cut off all my hair."

I mean, sure I could just say I got a haircut, but I think it would've been a bit sudden, especially considering how much everyone knew I loved my hair... Plus, I still hadn't gotten the time to go get it evened out, so it was still jagged and choppy.

I pulled open a door to the school and made my way toward my locker. I had my headphones in and my face turned downward to my phone as I tried to ignore the people around me. I made it to my locker a minute later, quickly unlocking it and retrieving my things.

A tap on my shoulder made me jump. I whirled around to find Eve, Malaya, and Calum behind me. Eve was giggling, probably because of how I reacted to her soft grab for my attention.

Pulling out my earbuds, I smiled at them. "Hi guys..."

"I have so many questions for you right now..." Malaya put a hand on her hip and raised an eyebrow. "We're you and Luke playing hoodie together on Friday? Were you doing bad things? If so what were those bad things? Was that you I saw at the Twenty One Pilots concert? Because I thought you couldn't get tickets... And, most importantly, where is your hair?" She sounded like an upset mother, which made me want to laugh.

"Yes we were together but my mom knew about it, no we weren't doing bad things, and yes I was at the concert because it was mine and Luke's anniversary so he got tickets. And as for my hair-" I was choked off my a sudden tight feeling in my throat. I couldn't do it. Not yet. Especially not with Calum here, as I still wasn't sure where we stood.

With that, Malaya started being a teenage fangirl and bounced up and down as she squealed about the show. Eve got in a word or two here and there, and Calum stood behind them, his eyes on his phone and his mouth shut the whole time.

The first bell rang and we went our separate ways, me to chemistry, and the rest of them to their respective classes. I dragged myself through the morning to lunch where I was anxious to see Michael for the first time today, which was strange as I usually saw him every morning.

I stopped at my locker to put away my morning class materials and exchange them for my end of the day things when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey Ev-" I began as I turned to find not Eve, but Kelsey. And Nina, and Annie, and the rest of the Bitch Squad, as Malaya called them. My voice died in my throat as Kelsey sneered at me, pushing her long blonde hair over her shoulder.

"So, Kara, I love the new haircut. Did your druggee friend do it?" She taunted.

"No," I returned simply, spinning back around to finish getting my things. She had other ideas though.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" Kelsey's hand dug into my shoulder as she whipped me around, slamming my back against my locker door. My head hit the top of it, making me gasp in pain. "How dare you go after Luke, you little slút?" She stepped so close I could see her foundation wasn't totally blended.

I remained silent, gritting my teeth as I stood absolutely still. She growled with frustration and narrowed her eyes.

"If you don't break up with him so his sorry áss comes crawling back to me, so help me, I'll make it so you not only don't fit in here, but you won't fit in anywhere," she hissed. "You won't have anyone to sob to other than your mummy, and even she won't care."

"What's the point in talking so quietly Kelsey?" I asked defiantly.

"Wh-what?" She looked taken aback at my words.

"I said, why talk so quietly? I don't give a dámn. I love Luke and I know for a fact that you don't, so why would I give him back to you? And I know for a fact that he loves me. He's told me a thousand times that he regrets every second he spent with you, so why would I send him back to hell, when he may have found someone who can treat him like he's in heaven?" She took a step back, mouth slightly agape as she struggled for words.

"Is it some huge secret? I know I'm a reject," I shrugged before seeing my chance. Shutting and locking my locker, I turned and walked away. I found Luke staring at me in awe near the cafeteria door and I made a show of reaching up to kiss him hello before turning to smile at Kelsey, who just watched in rage.

But now I wasn't scared of her. I wasn't worried about her "ruining my life" because I had Luke. I knew he'd be there for me if anything happened, and that was all I needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't believe you seriously did that Kara!" Michael rattled on. "You really must be crazy. No one ever does that to Kelsey!"

"Well I might as well be no one then," I shrugged with a smile. "Doesn't seem too bad."

"She's gonna be bìtching about this for the next two months to the footballers..." Calum groaned, making everyone laugh.

"I don't get why you still hang around with that crowd," Malaya pointed out. "You seem to fit in pretty well with us, considering the fact that you're a total fúckboy, of course..."

"Because they're my teammates, and I don't appreciate being called a fúckboy. I haven't had a 'girl friend' since autumn formal..." He grumbled.

"Riiiight....." Eve laughed. Calum rolled his eyes with a sigh and went back to eating his sandwich.

"Well, I personally am proud and amazed that you did that. Especially defending me," Luke joined sweetly. His lips pressed against my temple and he whispered a "thank you" that was for my ears only. I nodded and leaned against his shoulder.

"Anytime," I breathed into his ear with a smile.

••••••••••••••••••••

A/N

Double update while I'm exhausted? Sounds like a GREAT idea!! Now there's only one chapter and the epilogue left. I hope you liked this. That was mainly the last bit of drama in the book.

The next chapter won't be from Luke's POV just so you know. It's an important chapter (plus it's the last actual chapter so I wanted it to be from Kara's perspective...)

Thank you, I love you, and I'll be going to bed now as its 5 am and I'm only gonna get an hour of sleep. #Soworththeexhaustiontomorrow/today

~CC xx <3