>Chapter Seven<

Where are you? my phone read. Michael had texted me, but I wasn't in the mood to reply. I just shoved my books into my locker and looked at myself in the little mirror on the door. My eyes were still slightly puffy, my nose red, and my cheeks flushed with color.

But at this point, I really didn't care. All I wanted was to get through the day without being talked to. 

I slammed the door shut as the bell rang and made my way to art. I sat alone today, ignoring Michael's insistent questioning. He asked if I was okay, but I simply shrugged. He asked if I wanted to talk, and I shook my head. I wasn't up for verbal communication at the moment.

I dragged myself through the rest of the day, ignoring the stares in the halls and the whispers in class. I just felt like I had gone somewhat numb inside, as if my emotions were dulled.

"Look who it is!" called a voice from the side of the hallway. I had been walking back to my locker at the end of the day, but I had to pass through a throng of popular people and athletes to do so. Including Kelsey.

"It's the freak! Did you go cry in the bathroom, emo girl?" taunted another girl. I clutched my books tightly, trying to push through everyone.

"Leave her alone," said one of the boys in the clump. "Just stop, okay Kelsey? She didn't do anything to you!" I saw who was talking. It was a boy with dark hair, a SnapBack, and tan skin. I thought that might have been one of Luke's friends, but I wasn't sure.

"Oh, come on Calum. You really think that has feelings?" Kelsey sneered as I finally made it through the crowd. "Have fun crying yourself to sleep, loner!" she called after me. I just walked away as quickly as possible without running.

The sound of footsteps followed me, and I assumed it might have been the boy who'd stood up for me, Calum if I heard right. But I just kept walking.

"Hey!" came his voice. Definitely Calum. "Wait up," I felt a hand on my shoulder, stopping me. I whipped around, pulling away.

"Leave me alone," I muttered, stepping back.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to see if you were alright..." he looked at me curiously.

"Well, I'm fine. So you can go run back to your friends now," I made a shooing motion and started to turn away.

"Look, I didn't do anything to you. Why are you being so hostile?" Calum asked seriously, making me freeze.

I thought for a moment, looking at him. "It's not you. It's them. I just have a hard time trusting people, especially people like that," I gestured to the crowd. A few people were looking over, but I tried not to care.

"Well, I only hang out with them because I play football. I'm not very good friends with any of them," he shrugged and looked down at his feet. "I'm not like them. But if you really won't trust anyone, then that's fine I guess."

I felt a pang of guilt. "I'm sorry. But I have to go," I said not knowing what else to say. I had to get away from them.

"Yeah, okay. See you around."

I turned and made my way to my locker. Quickly grabbing my things, I left, running inside when I reached home. I flew up the stairs, collapsing on my bed in tears of anger and humiliation and fear.

I had so many conflicting emotions raging through me, I didn't even notice my phone was ringing.

When I finally heard it, I saw I'd missed the first three calls from Michael. I decided to answer, not wanting Michael to worry.

"Yeah?" I said bluntly when I picked up.

"Kara! Why didn't you pick up? Are you alright? Where did you go?" Michael asked in a wave.

"Woah, woah, Mikey. Slow down. I didn't hear the phone, I'm fine, and I'm at home. Any more questions?" I sniffled and wiped at my damp eyes.

"Not really. Though I don't get why you wouldn't talk to me in art."

"Because I wasn't in the mood to talk," I shrugged to myself. "And I have a ton of homework right now so I should probably go do that," I lie slightly. I had homework, but not very much at all.

"Oh," he said, sounding disappointed. "Alright. Bye then. See you tomorrow Kara," Michael said, then hung up. I flopped back onto my bed, closing my eyes. Before I knew it, I was asleep.

[Edited]