>Chapter Twenty-Four<

The next several days went by in a blur of excitement, boredom, and over-dramatic dance proposals. I witnessed everything from giant signs, to flowers and chocolate. There was even one boy who blasted music from a portable speaker and gave a curly-headed girl a bouquet of daisies, saying some cheesy lines that had to do with the songs, I guess. It was honestly so adorable.

"I think we girls should get together tomorrow to get ready for the dance," I suggested at lunch on Friday. "The guys can come get us once we're ready."

"I think that's a great idea!" Malaya nodded. "Where should we meet up?"

"You two could come to my house. I think my mom will die if she doesn't meet you," I laughed.

"Sounds good to me," Eve smiled from across the table.

"Cool. You could come over whenever, my mom should be home all day tomorrow."

"Alright!" Malaya nodded as the bell rang. "Bye guys," she said standing up.

The rest of us followed suit, and I turned to Luke before leaving. "Bye Luke," I smiled up at him.

"Bye Kar. See you after school," he smiled back and kissed my forehead before we headed to our next classes.

••••••••••••••••••••

"Make sure you get their faces proportional!" Ms. Kamora said loudly as we worked on outlining our partner's faces. I was drawing Eve, she was drawing Michael, and Michael was drawing me. I was excited to see how each one turned out, even if they sucked.

"So Mikey, how excited are you for tomorrow?" I asked as I drew the curve of Eve's jaw.

"Pretty excited. How about you?" He sounded like he was smiling, but I didn't look. Models have to be still after all.

"I can't wait to see Luke all dressed up," I laughed. "Oh and Eve, Ashton can come. He texted me last night that he was coming for sure."

"Okay," she nodded slightly, and her cheeks turned a delicate pink. I smiled.

We continued like this for the rest of class, then before I knew it Saturday had arrived and Malaya and Eve were knocking on the front door.

I rushed downstairs to open the door, but mom beat me to it.

"Hi girls, I'm guessing you're the friends Kara invited over?" She smiled widely at them, welcoming them in.

"Yes we are," Malaya nodded with a grin. "I'm Malaya Massey," she introduced herself.

"I'm Eve Pulker," Eve said quietly after Malaya.

"Well girls, make yourselves at home. You can go on upstairs and do whatever you'd like. Call if you need anything," mom nodded and smiled before leaving us to our own devices.

"Hey guys," I smiled and hugged them each, then we headed upstairs, where they laid their dresses down on the bed. "So. What should we do for the-" I paused to look at the time. "Five hours that we have? I don't think getting ready should take five hours."

"Wow, when you said you needed some interest in here, I didn't imagine your room was so white..." Malaya laughed and looked around.

"Yeah. It's kinda bad," I agreed.

"Is that artwork in there?" Eve asked, curiously pointing to my many sketchbooks.

"Yeah. You can look if you want. Just know that I've drawn some pretty weird things before," I nodded. She picked one out and started slowly flipping through the pages. Every now and then she'd make a comment about one thing or another.