>Chapter Thirty-Six<

Note: possible cover above for the sequel ^-^

<Kara's POV>

It was awful.

Watching the pain play out on Luke's face for a solid four hours was a terrible experience. I kept expecting him to cry out due to the obvious agony he was in, but the most that left his mouth were shaky breaths and quiet grunts.

The way he clung to my hand was heartbreaking. His eyes were screwed shut the entire time, sweat beading on his forehead. I wanted to wrap my arms around him and kiss the pain away, but I obviously couldn't do that, and it practically caused me physical pain.

Now, waking up next to him on Saturday morning, I didn't move so as not to wake him up. He needed sleep right now to get better, so that's what he would have. I didn't even mind the fact that I couldn't leave the bed due to his arm, which was slung over my stomach.

Last night had been a bit rough. He'd accidentally rolled onto his side or back a few times, and the result was him jolting awake with a gasp of pain. I had been sleeping lightly all night in case anything happened, but it still surprised me every time.

As I looked at him carefully, sleep still laced through his body, I noticed how peaceful he was. Yes, there was ink covering his body, and a metal ring in his lip. Yes, there was hard, lean muscle beneath his skin and he would still be intimidating to some people.

But it was when he was asleep that I could really appreciate the details this boy held.

The laughter lines near his mouth. The shallow crease between his eyebrows as his eyes ran back and forth beneath his eyelids as he navigated through some unknown dream world. The way he took long, slow breaths that made the muscles in his back shift slightly each time. He looked so at peace, as if the pressure and stress of wakefulness wouldn't dare touch him.

I shifted slightly beneath his arm, and in his slumber he moved it off my stomach. Not what I was going for but I guess now I could move mostly freely as I turned so my body faced Luke. I very lightly traced the lines of ink on his bicep, careful not to go too high on his arm in case it would hurt him. The motion would have been enough to mesmerize me back to sleep had it not caused an increase in his breathing.

I paused what I was doing, praying he would go back to sleep, but he did no such thing. Instead he let out a soft groan and rubbed at his eyes.

"Try to go back to sleep Luke," I whispered as he opened his eyes. He smiled at me and scrunched his nose at my request.

"Why would I do that when there's a pretty girl in my bed?" His sweet smile became a cheeky grin as I rolled my eyes.

"I'm going to choose to ignore that comment," I sighed. "How's your back feeling?"

"Like shít. No, I take that back. Like flaming shít. That's what it feels like," he replied with another groan. "It wasn't too bad though...until you mentioned it."

"Well sorry I'm a worried girlfriend who's boyfriend was stupid enough to get a huge tattoo across his shoulders!"

"Well sorry I'm the stupid boyfriend who wanted to show his worried girlfriend how much she means to him!" He replied in mock anger.

I rolled my eyes and started to get out of bed when the bed shifted and Luke's  arm caught me around the stomach, pulling me back down. I fell back, my head bouncing against the pillow as his appeared overhead.

"Where are you going so fast?" He raised an eyebrow and smiled quizzically down at me.

"To make breakfast?" It came out more as a question than a statement as butterflies started to form in my stomach.