>Chapter Fourteen<

We spent the entire day laughing. After we ate, Luke asked if I'd like to walk around the area. After going to the local playground, we went and got ice cream at Mickey's, a minuscule shop on the side of the road. And when I say minuscule, I mean that you went in on one side, ordered at the counter while standing in a four foot wide aisle, then you left through the other side door.

But they had the best ice cream there. I got a sundae with vanilla ice cream, chocolate fudge, strawberries, and sprinkles, while Luke got a cone with cookie dough and mint chocolate chip. We sat outside at one of the picnic tables in the park eating our frozen treats and talking.

"So you really put hand prints on your wall?" he laughed, licking away some melted ice cream that was about to drip onto his hand.

"Mm hmm," I nodded, grinning. "They're all over. And every year on my birthday, I'd take a different color and make a new layer higher up on the wall."

"That sounds so cool!" His lips turned up in an adorable grin that made my stomach flutter. "So it's just you and your mum then?" he asked quietly, almost apprehensively.

"Yeah, my dad was in a really bad car crash and died a few days before I was born," I shrugged and ate some more ice cream before it all melted.

"Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that Kar..." He sounded sympathetic as he said this. I tilted my head slightly.

"What about your parents?" I asked curiously.

"Oh, I don't live with them anymore. It's actually just my mum as well, so I can relate to that too... We had a falling out, so I went and got my own flat." He smiled ruefully, licking his cone again. "It's nice to be on my own. I honestly can't imagine living with her anymore."

"Gosh..." I murmured, looking up at the sky. It was clear as far as I could see, the sun shining down intensely. "Does it ever get lonely?"

"Sometimes, but if I get lonely I can always invite people over. That's the nice thing about not having anyone else living there. I can do whatever the hell I want," he laughed and finished off the last of his ice cream. I did the same, and we just sat there together, talking for who knows how long.

Eventually, it started to get dark. "Crap, I should probably get going. My mom might get worried."

"Yeah, don't want you getting in trouble on our first date," he smirked. I rolled my eyes and stood up. We walked back toward the pizzeria, then stopped. "I had a lot of fun today," Luke admitted.

"Me too. I wasn't expecting to learn so much about you," I grinned up at him. "I'll have to check out that flat of yours sometime." I tried to be cute and wink, but it probably ended up looking like my eye was twitching. He laughed, as did I.

"See you on Monday then?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, see you on Monday," I nodded. He hugged me then, surprising me. I hugged him back, breathing in that wonderful smell that clung to him. "Thank you for today," I muttered into his shirt. The only response was him tightening his grip slightly, before he released me.

"Bye Kara," he said softly.

"Bye Luke," I waved and pulled open my car door. As I got in, I ran over the day's events in my mind. We'd talked for about six hours, with eating mixed in. I'd learned so much about him, that his favourite color was blue, that he was the youngest of three, that his favourite animals were penguins. It was a perfect day, and I wish it didn't have to end.

[Edited]