Chapter 32

I drove slowly on the unfamiliar street to get to Blake's house.

Yesterday, Blake had wanted me to come over his place to help him out with the stoichiometry exercises the teacher had given us in Chemistry, but he had a football practice, so we had agreed for me to come the next day, which was now.

I had my window down. It was a pretty sunny day, we were still in early September after all, and the wind blew my hair everywhere, making it even messier than usual. Fefe Dobson's I Want You was playing and I was singing along, tapping on my steering wheel with the beat, looking at every house, one by one, expecting to see the address I had on the piece of paper in my hand.

I wasn't really familiar with this part of the city. It was the older part of it, with the rich people's houses. I remembered all the times my mom had drove around here, looking at the houses, marvelling over them, and over their garden. She always had a thing for pretty things.

Don't think about her Lexi, there's no use anymore, I repeated in my head, and then kept singing and driving.

Finally, I saw the number I was looking for, but it wasn't on a house, it was on a freaking gate.

A gate?

What the hell?

The huge metal gate was surrounded a big grey rocky walls on both sides, to go around their property.

I couldn't see over the wall but I could see through the fence and there was a driveway, in the same rock as the walls, leading somewhere which I couldn't see exactly because of all the trees around, and of how far it stretched.

Okay, seriously what the hell?

Was this a joke?

That was exactly the kind of thing Blake could do, right? We had pretty much put the whole library and Stacey incident behind, even though I was still pretty curious about the why she had stormed out, but I had no doubt Blake could send me to some random huge house, with snobby people and then laugh tomorrow at me for going.

If that was what this was, I'd punched that sexy face of his.

No, no, not sexy face, dumb face. DUMB FACE.

I took a deep breath and turned into the driveway, making my way to his house. There were cedar trees on each sides of the driveway, and pines further behind and maple trees too, some of them already getting a little orange, red or yellow and I think I could actually see oak trees too, and other trees I couldn't name.

Seriously what the hell?

And then, finally, the house.

I really wasn't prepared for it.

I had seen the Lamborghini and I knew his parents were rich, but I really wasn't prepared for the house that stood in front of me. Because it didn't look like a house. It looked like a freaking mansion.

There was a fountain at the front, with a round parking around, but it wasn't really a fountain. It had the shape of a fountain but there wasn't water in it, it was actually filled with vines and other creeper plants.

And the house was huge. It was in a gray and sandy rocks, with great double doors at the front and a large balcony over it, supported by columns all beige, and there were creeper plants on the walls.

I just keep staring at it, trying to register every details, and then thought about the fact that I probably looked stupid, just waiting in my car, so I stopped the engine and got out of my car to walk slowly towards the front doors.

I walked up the few steps and froze in front of the imposing doors, but then I pressed on doorbell and waited, feeling anxious.

This had better be the right house. Blake had better not been pulling a joke on me because that would be the last one he'd make.