Chapter 4.

_______

3RD POV
_______

.

.

Just a regular day in Shiganshina District. Folks going about their business, kids making a ruckus playing, and grown-ups doing their thing. Merchants flaunting their stuff, soldiers having a good time with a drink, probably gossiping about the charming baker nearby—a married beauty.

Amid the lively scene, a young woman casually wandered the busy streets, as if things wouldn't take a dark turn sooner or later. For weeks, she'd been in and out of the district, witnessing the scouts take off and eagerly anticipating their return.

Fixing her cloak, she made up her mind to head to the district gates for the fifth time this week. Right on cue, the bell signaling the Scouts' comings and goings echoed through the air.

Amidst the hustle and bustle, a sudden realization hit her: 'OH FUCK, IT' S TODAY?'

Despite the shock, she maintained a calm face, concealing any emotions behind her already-covered face.

__________

Watching the soldiers return, the young woman couldn't help but sport a small smile.

'I guess my presence did some good', she thought.

Why? Well, there were fewer casualties compared to the usual storyline. She patted herself on the back, acknowledging the tedious effort she put in.

However, despite her actions, some unfortunate souls weren't able to escape their fates.

In a scene all too familiar, an elderly woman hurriedly approached a stern-faced commander.

"Excuse me! My son Moses! I don't see him here..." she pleaded, distress etched on her face. "Where is my son?"

The commander, filled with remorse and guilt, looked at her before lifting his head to speak with a nearby soldier.

"Moses' mother... bring him here," the commander requested.

The soldier, his hesitation evident, approached a horse laden with belongings. He came back holding something swathed in a survey corps cape stained with blood. Handing it over to the commander, he quickly stepped aside, avoiding the horrified gaze of the kneeling old woman witnessing the somber moment.

With a heavy expression, the commander reluctantly presented her with the grim 'item'.

Trembling, she gazed down at the mentioned item, attempting to grasp the reality unfolding before her. Gradually, she unraveled it, her tear-filled eyes widening like saucers.

In her hands, she held a bloody appendage — her son's arm.

"Eh...?"

"That's all... we were able to recover," the commander explained, wearing an indescribable expression.

Breaking from the shock, the woman clutched the remnants of her son and unleashed a loud wail. The surroundings fell into a heavy silence, only disrupted by her sobbing, drawing pitiful glances from onlookers, coupled with accusatory stares directed at the scouts.