Chapter 6.

_______

3RD POV
_______

.

.

The distant echo of bells set the scene as young Eren peacefully slumbered on a straw bed. Suddenly, a sound in the distance stirred him from his sleep.

"Er... n... Wa... Up... now..."

His face twisted in discomfort, "Huh...?" he responded, still half-asleep.

"...ren..!" someone gently shook him. After a moment, he opened an eye, blinking in confusion. Mikasa's concerned gaze met his as he slowly sat up.

"Are you alright..? I've been trying to wake you up for a while now," she said quietly.

Eren, still groggy, blinked. "...Huh, weird... I feel... refreshed... and I think I saw Dad."

Mikasa looked down. "He's not there. It was probably a dream."

"You think..?" Eren questioned, glancing down and noticing something hanging around his neck.

'A key..?'

"Let's go, the garrison is distributing food outside," she said, rising from her seat.

Tucking the key beneath his shirt, he stood and followed her out of the barn. As they walked, she briefed him on what he had missed, detailing their whereabouts since he had dozed off early the day before. Surveying the area, he observed a mix of shocked, tearful, and traumatized people lining up for food, but his attention sharpened on a fight between two men.

"Get in line like everyone else, you motherfucker!"

"SHUT UP! I haven’t eaten since last night! I’m starving!"

Mikasa, maintaining her composure, continued, "It's too early to claim we're safe; this is just the beginning of our struggle..." she muttered, until an unfamiliar voice interrupted, drawing their attention.

"THE KIDDOS FROM YESTERDAY!" Their eyes widened as someone suddenly embraced them tightly, squeezing the life out of them. "You two are okay!!" She planted kisses on both of their flustered faces.

"W-who..?" Eren stammered before recognition dawned on him. "Ah! It's you!! The mysterious girl!" He could've said 'weird,' but he opted for a kinder term, since she had been nice.

Armin appeared behind the girl a moment later, holding three loaves of bread. "Mysterious..? Ah! You're the one Eren was talking about!" he exclaimed suddenly, eyes wide.

She let them go, casting a curious gaze at Eren, who stuttered, "I-I... Huh! ... I mean... yes, it's her!" A sly grin played across her features.

"Oh~? I didn't know I was that interesting." She teased with a chuckle, causing all three to flush.

The blond shifted his attention to his hands. "Ah, yes! Here's bread! My grandfather told them it was for his grandkids!" He handed each of them a loaf before realizing there was nothing left for the newcomer.

"It's okay, I don't need it," she said warmly, reassuring the hesitant little blond, who nodded in response.

A garrison soldier, who followed Armin, 'tched' disapprovingly before walking away. Eren, noticing him, voiced his curiosity.