Interlude : Mikasa.

_______

3RD POV
_______

.

.

The first time Mikasa saw Colith that day, the only thing she could think of was

pretty

The hooded girl was an oddity. She was so strange but interesting at the same time that Mikasa didn't push her away which was alarming. The Asian never let anyone aside from Eren and Armin near her, so for this stranger to push her way into her heart this easily raised red flags in the child's head. Seeing her smile at them shocked the girl by how warm and gentle it was. And for the first time since her family's demise, Mikasa didn't know what to do. She was a wary girl after everything she went through and only wanted to protect those precious to her even if it meant dying for them. It was all she had to live for after all.

The second time Mikasa encountered the girl, at the price of a bone-crushing hug, she had an internal battle in her mind for the first time about how wary she should be around the girl. And that wasn't normal. A part of her wanted to push this unknown as far away from her fam-ErenErenErenErenSafeSafeSAFE- but the second part had the utmost urge to trust her and it confused her. It basically was a defense mechanism she made whenever meeting new people and it, unfortunately, worsened ever since her parents' demise at the hands of greedy human traffickers but thankfully she was saved by the Jaegers in time. Only God knew what would've happened to her if they hadn't an appointment that same day, so excuse her if she's more cautious than normal.

Then she gave them food.

What?

The 14-year-old gave them food out of the blue, -given that her relatives hadn't made it and Mikasa surprised herself when she immediately showed support to the girl and that wasn't normal at all! Why was she sad on the teen's behalf?! And who would spare relatively good food on them? They didn't know each other and Mikasa was sure there was something fishy behind all this! Certain!

Even though It was definitely suspicious, Mikasa gingerly accepted it because she knew she needed it and shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

After chatting with the girl who introduced herself as Colith (Mr. Arlert had found them in the meantime) Mikasa noticed the genuine hope in the boys' eyes at the prospect of having a roof over their heads so soon that she couldn't find it in herself to crush it at the thought of mere suspicions and she unconsciously sighed in relief. Plus they had Armin's grandfather with them and Mikasa trusted him. Even if Mr. Arlert didn't outright agree with the offer, she could see that he was tempted. Mikasa would trust his judgment. The old man had a cool head and knew when someone was genuine and trustworthy. And it wasn't like she couldn't defend herself if things went wrong. People tended to underestimate her for her age, so she'd take every advantage she got to strike first if danger came. But her mouth moved before she could think and shouted alongside the boys in agreement.

Stupid mouth!

So they accepted her offer to live with her and Mikasa surprised herself again when a huge wave of protectiveness washed over her and was utterly shocked when it was directed at the gold-eyed teen!

'what's going on?'

__________