Chapter 42.

_______

3RD POV
_______

.

.

They had...won?

Bertholdt could barely believe it. They had really managed to win against her? Then again, if he hadn't had the idea to drop on them, he's not sure Reiner nor him would've been able to get away, not with the way things were going. Speaking of the blond, he looked worse for wear, most of the parts of his armor were busted, allowing the flesh underneath to be seen.

Could he even qualify as Armored at this point?

Their escape plan had unfortunately come to a halt, however. Not because of an impromptu attack from their captive currently residing in Reiner's mouth, no, but due to the rising sun in the distance, which, by default, announced the awakening of the few titans they passed by, who most likely would give chase to an already exhausted Reiner. The colossal was unsuited for long-distance travel, and even though his titan was smaller than Bertholdt's and more enduring, neither was Reiner's. Especially not with the exhaustion that befell him after facing two relentless shifters at once.

Though the desire to quickly join their allies was present, Bertholdt managed to convince Reiner to make a stop in one of Paradis' many forests of giant trees. This decision was mainly due to his friend's apparent exhaustion, despite Reiner's initial refusal to rest.

"So, what's gonna happen to us?"

He couldn't bear to meet her eye. No... he just couldn't.

Both her arms and legs were missing. It was a miracle that her head remained. Eren was luckier-though luck would be an exaggeration given their circumstances-only missing an arm and a leg. They both, more or less, sat on a branch below them, with the latter glaring daggers at them.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

He shifted uncomfortably. Reiner, he... He knew something was wrong with him ever since Marcel... No, he, he shouldn't think about this. Not right now. He ignored his friend's- not anymore- sharp intake of breath, anger visible on his face at the blond's clueless tone.

Fortunately, it seemed that their regeneration process was slower than usual, especially Colith's, although he felt... that something was wrong. Was she not the founding Titan? That alone should have been their undoing, and yet, here they were. He was certain they shouldn't have won. Not this easily at least. Could it be that she wasn't aware of all the powers at her disposal...?

He chanced a glance at them and quickly looked away when her attention shifted to him.

Guilt.

He couldn't help it. Those three years spent with them... She had been nothing but kind and welcoming to him and the others that he almost forgot why they were there in the first place. Bertholdt wouldn't lie; she had wormed her way into his heart. Scratch that-a blush colored his cheeks at the reminder of their date. He...he liked her.

Maybe they could find a way for her to survive this? He could vouch for her life... that is, if she agrees to join them.

However, something was bothering him.