CHAPTER | 20

| PRESENT |

| PRESENT |

JULY 02nd, 2014

The next morning, Captain sent them all a text to ask them to get into his office as soon as they stepped into the precinct.

They all knew what he wanted to talk about. Even though nobody told him about what they had done to clean Cassidy's name and push away Roberto Chávez in the process, they knew Cragen had to know eventually. If he doesn't, how would they explain that everything had resolved?

"Is everything okay with you two?" Captain looked at Janis for a few seconds and then looked at Nick. They were the only ones in the office with him.

"It is" Janis assured him before Nick could talk, so Captain's look went back at her "I mean... it was long ago, we got over everything, right?"

Janis turned to Nick and the only thing the detective could do was nod. He didn't want to talk about it with his boss and he knew Janis had other reasons why she didn't want anyone at the office to know about the relationship they had.

And even though the Captain wasn't too convinced, he nodded.

"Thank you for not letting that to get in between the good job you've been doing till now"

No one said anything after that, so, they waited in silence for the rest of the team to arrive.

One by one they walked into the office and the last one was Carisi, but he couldn't even say his hello's when Cragen had already asked him to close the door.

Janis knew they were there because of her. Being educated in Chicago gave her the instincts to act in a way not everybody approved, but that most of the time always worked. So, she decided she had to give a step forward and take care of any problem her action could have brought.

But Captain interrupted when she was about to take all the blame.

"Well done," was the first thing he said, causing not only her to be surprised, but everyone. "I know we were trained to work according to protocol, but sometimes we have to put it aside... and this was a good situation to do so."

"But?" Olivia asked with a small teasing smile. The captain smiled back and sighed.

"I don't want it to happen again anytime soon."

And although everyone believed that this reprimand would last longer, the captain looked down at his desk, took a card and gave it to Fin, and then ordered him and Rollins to go to Bellevue. From there, one by one began to leave the office including Carisi, who, upon seeing her partner, realized that she needed a minute alone with the Captain.

"When you brought me to the unit..." she began once everyone had left, "you never imagined all the trouble I would bring, did you?" A small smile appeared on her face, and she used it to apologize.