CHAPTER | 08

"Going back to Chicago"

| PRESENT |

MARCH 23th, 2014

Since the moment Janis told Nick about her situation, they became closer. He could tell that they were even closer than what she was with Carisi and he was proud of it. She and Carisi spend a lot of time together while on work and they were like any other couple of best friends, but most of the nights after their shift is over, Nick and Janis have dinner together in her apartment. Just chilling and enjoying time off before they had to go back to work the next day.

Nick even met Dr. Charles through a video call 'cause Janis wanted him to hear from the psychiatrist about her progress with the therapy and he didn't know who was happier, him or the doctor.

"When Janis told me she was thinking of moving to New York, I told her she needed someone who she can rely on and we agree that a boss is not always the best option, right?" Dr. Charles said, and Nick answered with an affirmative sound while Janis looked at him, smiling "So, I'm glad she has a friend now. Friends and family make the difference to patients with this diagnosis"

But Janis was worried. She thought that Nick would be asking too many times a day if she was okay, but he didn't. He treated her completely normal, something most people in Chicago didn't. But to Nick, Janis was just Janis and that was helping her even more.

Nick looked at her when she walked in saying how sorry she was for getting late. Her hair was wet and she wasn't wearing any makeup "I didn't hear my alarm"

Carisi chuckled "Getting ready for spring break?" Carisi asked her and she looked at him, frowning "You said you were furnishing your guest room for Lizzie"

"Oh, well... she's not coming" Janis shrugged and that caught Nick's attention. Janis was so excited to see her daughter "I stayed up late talking to some friends about Mollys"

"Oh, sorry... I forgot you're a businesswoman" Carisi teased, Janis just smiled and gave him a folder for him to start with the paperwork of the last case they had.

No one remembered when was the last monotonous day they had. Surrounded by paperwork, everyone was in their desks trying to make their piles of documents smaller. Fin and Rollins offered to buy coffee for everyone but it was just an excuse to go out of the precinct for fresh air. Everyone accepted, though.

And once they all had their drinks, Carisi decided they needed a break.

"Have you read this?" He said out of a sudden, catching everyone's attention.

"I thought you were working" Janis teased, cocking an eyebrow at him and smirking.

"No, no, listen" he interrupted her "There's an oncologist in Chicago under investigation for diagnosing women with cancer they don't have... I think your old unit is in charge of the investigation... yep, they are" He nodded and kept reading "Intelligence Unit of Chicago is in charge of the investigation of Dr. Dean Reybold after one his patient died from an overdose of che—"