CHAPTER | 05

"Doubting"

"Doubting"

| EIGHT YEARS AND TEN MONTHS BEFORE |

MAY 12th, 2005

Janis and Nick were doing the dishes after supper. Her father decided it would be a great idea to take her mom to a special trip for the weekend so, after he had a talk to Justin about what he had to do when they weren't home, he took their suitcases and went for their mother to the school she worked in.

While they were washing the plates, they were talking about his cheekbone and how he managed to have a bruise in it. They heard the front door being opened and for the sound of the footsteps, she knew it was Justin.

"I'm home" He shouted and Janis laughed for his obvious fact.

"You're late! Where were you?" She shouted back and turned to the kitchen's door when he came in. When Justin saw the person she was with his face changed. "You're late" Janis repeated, trying to stay as serious as she could be, but he didn't answer anything, he just grabbed a glass and approached to them to pour water in it "What happened to your hand?" She asked him when she noticed his knuckles were red and with scratches in them "Justin..."

"I hit a cop," he said like it was a normal thing to do.

Janis opened her eyes and if it wasn't for Nick who took the plate in her hands, she would've had dropped it for the surprise of hearing that.

"What!?" She turned to him when he was about to leave the kitchen. Justin looked at her without an expression on his face "Is this a joke?"

"No, it's true" he shrugged.

Janis looked at him trying to understand why he was acting like that. She was expecting him to tell her it was a joke but she had never seen him that serious before.

"He deserved it"

Justin left the kitchen and Janis walked out of there following him to the living room where he turned the T.V. on, so she got closer to him and took the clicker from his hand and turned it off.

"What the hell were you thinking?" She asked him still not being able to believe what he said.

"He deserved it..."

"I don't fucking care if he deserved it or not... if dad gets to know—"

"He won't unless you tell him"

Janis was surprised at his cynicism. It was well known that Justin had problems with authority for a long time now, but he had never talked to her that way. He was always the loving, caring, and protector brother everybody should have.

But there was another thing...

"How that even happened?" She asked but she had the answer on her brain immediately "Were you arrested? Again?"