CHAPTER | 12

| PRESENT |

| PRESENT |

MARCH 28th, 2014

Janis was laughing at Nick's protests. They spent the whole way from the Nathan Phillips Square arguing about what happened in the ice rink. They were in the hotel for the past fifteen minutes; she was leaned in the doorframe of her bedroom while Nick kept telling her how things happened on the ice.

"You made me fall, end of the story," Janis repeated and laughed at seeing his face.

"You still don't know how to skate," Nick insisted, and Janis laughed harder.

"I'm a pro now!" She said "You fell and grabbed me by the arm so I fell with you"

"I don't remember that happening"

"Well, I do" Janis smiled and they both started to laugh so hard that they had to cover their mouths to not disturb the guests in the rooms nearby, "They're gonna kick us out of here!" She muttered and then opened her door "Okay, I think it's time to sleep, our flight leaves early in the morning."

"You're right," Nick nodded.

"Goodnight," Janis said and before she could walked into her room, Nick grabbed her arm, making her stop "Yes?"

Nick looked in her eyes and suddenly the nervousness came back.

"Nothing, it's just... you wouldn't have had this fun if you would have gone with the Canadians" He said and Janis chuckled.

"We don't know that" She shrugged.

"C'mon you have to accept it"

"I won't" She shook her head no and laughed.

"C'mon!"

"No"

The laughs invaded the hall again while they had that short and silly argument. They knew that in those few hours, they had laughed more than they had in the last week and that felt great.

Suddenly, Nick pulled from her arm and that action made her end closer to him.

"You know that I'm right," He told her and Janis looked up at him with a smile.

"What do I get if I accept it?" Janis asked and unconsciously, her eyes looked at Nick's lips at the same moment his eyes looked at hers.

"What do you want?" His raspy voice sent shivers through her body and these just increased when he leaned to her.

But the moment was interrupted by the sound of a cellphone and the two seemed frustrated for that "It's mine" Janis said, taking the device out of her pocket and looking at the screen "It's Carisi"

"Well, I'll head to my room," Nick said and Janis couldn't help but be disappointed for that and mad at Carisi for interrupting "Goodnight"

"Night" Janis' voice went out in a whisper that was sure Nick didn't hear. He had already walked away and somehow; now she was aware of the cold in the hotel "What?" She asked violently when she picked the second call of her partner.