CHAPTER | 07

"Janis' story"

"Janis' story"

| PRESENT |

MARCH 15th, 2014

It was 09 PM when Nick parked in the dark street where Janis apartment was and leaned his head back in his seat. He wasn't sure what he was going to say, he didn't know how to start to apologize. The only thing he knew was that Janis texted him, asking him to pass by 'cause they needed to talk. Nick wasn't going to let that chance slide. He wanted answers? Yes, but he also wanted to have the opportunity to say sorry and offer help in case she needed it.

So, he took his seat belt off and walked into the building. He knew that Janis controlled herself too well in the office, so, when he knocked on her door, he was quite terrified for what she could tell him.

When Janis opened the door, Nick saw she had changed her clothes for a simple purple t-shirt and denim jeans, her feet were covered only for a pair of white socks and her hair was in a bun. She looked comfortable, younger, and beautiful.

"Come in," she said, stepping aside to let him in and closing the door "You want something to drink? Soda, coffee, iced tea? Sorry, I don't have alcohol..."

Nick looked at her, frowning. He was expecting screams and shouts; he was expecting an argument but... she was offering him a drink. After how pissed she was with him the whole day, she was offering him for something to drink.

"I'm fine," Nick said, still frowning when she nodded "Wait... are you serious? After the whole day we had, you're... you're being nice to me?"

Janis sighed, headed to the couch, and sat, inviting him to do the same "We need to talk" She said, taking her glass of iced tea and drinking a sip.

Nick, still a little confused, walked to the couch and sat on the other side of it.

"But before... I need to know you're completely sure you want to listen. It can put you in an uncomfortable situation"

Nick looked at her, not finding her eyes. He didn't know what she meant, but he was sure he wanted to know "I'm sure"

They stayed for a couple of minutes in silence, Nick looked at Janis once and realized she didn't seem comfortable anymore. Her blue eyes were lost in the dark screen of the T.V and he could also notice how hard it was for her to start talking. So, when he was about to ask for forgiveness, she lifted her palmed and stopped him.

"You wanted to know what my problem is?" She asked with her eyes still on the TV. Nick's heart broke at seeing tears in her eyes.

Janis sighed again and started with her story:

"My problem, Nick, is that my brother was murdered a year ago and just two months after, I had to go to the ER so they could induce me because my baby's heart stopped inside of me" Janis stopped for a second 'cause her voice was shaking. She cleared her throat, drank more tea, and continued "The only thing I wanted was my mom to tell me everything was going to be fine but guess what? She's also dead"