CHAPTER | 11

| PRESENT |

| PRESENT |

MARCH 28th, 2014

After talking to Kevin Thomas, Janis and Nick finally had more information about the baby and his parents. They knew one of the women who left him was his mother, and they could contact the father who was out of the country for work but said he would go back as soon as he could.

Now they were in Mercy; Ryan was holding his son as his life depended on it. Janis and Nick knew right away that he wasn't involved in what the mother of his son did, but they needed to ask some questions.

"Could you imagine why she left him in a bathroom?" Nick asked.

"No" Ryan shook his head and looked at the detective "She loves him, she would never do something like that..."

"But is Alisha the one in the picture, right?" Janis showed him once again the picture from the security cameras in the airport. The man nodded "Then she did it..."

"But she wouldn't" Ryan insisted "We're engaged, we were planning the wedding... maybe it was her mother's idea" Nick and Janis looked at each other and then back to him "Look, Alisha was born in Canada, but her parents were trying to arrange a marriage for her... they wanted her to get married to someone from India, they didn't want a white guy in the family. They didn't know about us"

"You're telling us that Alisha's mother came to take her back to Canada and made her dumped your son in the first place they saw?" Nick frowned and Ryan nodded.

"That's the only explanation I can believe... She told me she didn't want to go back to Canada. You're gonna find her?"

Janis looked back at Nick and they both sighed.

"What do you think?" Nick asked Janis when they were in the car "Do you really think she wanted to stay here?"

"Look, I'm a mother, I don't want to think she made the decision to leave her son"

Nick didn't want to either, but the last year in SVU helped him to see not all people were like him. Not all people had good intentions, not everyone is good.

"Voight" Nick looked at her and saw she just picked a call, a few seconds later she grabbed his arm "Yeah. Thanks, Captain"

"What?" Nick asked her once she placed her phone back in her pocket.

"Canada called, they found Alisha" Janis said "We're flying to Toronto in four hours"

Some hours later, when Nick sat at Janis' side in their seats, he couldn't help but remember that flight they took to Florida many years ago. Janis was looking at the window and he smiled. He didn't understand why, but Janis loved to be on planes, she told him that ten years before and that was the reason why she never sleeps while traveling.