CHAPTER | 01

"Just five minutes"

"Just five minutes"

| PRESENT |

FEBRUARY 1st, 2014

The precinct was bigger than she imagined. Without a doubt, the place was way bigger than District 21 in Chicago and for a short moment, she felt overwhelmed for all the people walking in and out of the elevator.

That morning when she looked at the window, another view faced her, and when she turned and saw a different bedroom was when she knew that all was done. She had to start again in another city, far away from where her father was, her friends, her daughter...

And she felt lonely, but she knew why she was doing that. Her father was right; Lizzie needed to see her mother happy even if it wasn't near her. Janis thought Lizzie didn't understand, in the end, she was only four, but she noticed how her mother was not the same anymore, how she seemed sad all the time, and even sometimes heard her crying. That had encouraged her to pack her things and accept the offer in Manhattan.

She loved her hometown but seeing the past months of her life made her realized that she needed a break from Chicago.

Janis Voight walked out of the elevator trying not to step into the officers who wanted to walk in. She sighed when the doors got closed and tried to relax from that weird elevator trip.

"Janis!" A southern accent made her turn to her right and there she saw the blond Detective who helped them with a case in Chicago a couple of months ago "Come this way... How you've been?" She asked as they started to walk through the hall.

"I'm still on my feet" Janis answered, shrugging "What about you?"

"Same as you," Rollins said with a smile "I'll take you with the Captain..."

"You were not going somewhere else?"

"Nowhere important," She said, shaking her head.

Captain Cragen who interviewed her a month before through a video call was in front of a group of people, they were talking and for their serious expressions, she knew it wasn't a pleasant conversation.

"Detective Rhodes, you're here on time," Captain Cragen said, making everyone turn to her.

"It's Voight now" Janis corrected and the Captain nodded, understanding.

"My apologies" Cragen looked at his Detectives and continued "We talked about this; she's Detective First Grade Janis Voight transferred from Intelligence Unit of Chicago, you're going to be working with Detective Carisi"

"Call me Sonny," The Detective said, shaking Janis's hand.

"No one does it" Amanda shook her head, making Janis chuckle.

"You already know Detectives Tutuola and Rollins, so these are Detectives Amaro and Benson"

When Janis looked at the Detectives, more specifically to the male one, she felt she was seeing a ghost. Hundreds of memories came to her in just a second, but she had to keep her cool, so she did. Maybe her mind was playing tricks, but the look that Detective Amaro had, made her doubt.