CHAPTER | 17

| PRESENT |

| PRESENT |

JUNE 29th, 2014

The past couple of days Janis' mood changed and everyone could notice it. Even if it was something new to have to take care of her daughter as a single mother, she got used to it pretty soon.

In the morning she takes Lizzie to her ice skating summer camp —that after investigating all the instructors and the school, they chose the second they went to—, if she can, she goes out of the precinct to pick her up and wait for the babysitter at her apartment, she goes back to the precinct and after her shift is over, she spends the rest of the day with her daughter.

The dynamic with Nick changed a bit, for the fact he hadn't stay the night since Lizzie arrived. Neither of them wanted her to see him there in case she wakes in the middle of the night for two reasons: they still didn't have anything formal and even if they had it, Janis didn't want to introduce someone she wasn't sure was gonna stay –forever— for a long time.

"Who's Cassidy and why didn't you call me on the weekend?" Janis asked Nick and Carisi since they were the only ones in the office.

They were saying how they had to work on Sunday because of a new case that involved Brian Cassidy. They talked about him as if they knew him but Janis had never heard his name in the time she had working with them.

"He used to work in the unit before going undercover" Carisi began to explain "A few months ago, he was undercover with Ganzel and it brought a lot of problems to the unit"

"Oh, I heard about that" Janis nodded, 'cause that was national news.

"Well, a woman came on Saturday night and said she was raped by him" Nick continued and with those words, Janis turned her full attention to him "She saw Cassidy's picture with the whole Ganzel's trial and recognized him... he was undercover with a sex trafficker named Andre when it all happened"

Janis arched an eyebrow, processing what Nick just said. He seemed so sure about that case but she was seeing something maybe Nick didn't do or didn't want.

"Right after Cassidy testified against Ganzel..." She said and by Nick's sigh, she knew he had thought about it. So that only meant that he had more proves "Are you sure he's guilty? That seems a bit..."

"She described a scar he has in his thigh" Nick interrupted her and Janis was taken aback for the tone of his voice. She knew she had to change the subject if she didn't want to start an argument with him "And... he's been undercover for so long, pretending to be someone else for a long period of time changes you"

But she couldn't change the subject after that and couldn't help but scoff at his words. "It changed you?" Janis asked and Nick seemed to get mad for that question. Exactly what Janis didn't want it to happen "Don't look at me that way... c'mon, Nick! I understand that before coming here, you were undercover in and out for ten years... you're saying that it changed you?"