CHAPTER | 03

"Yeah, that too"

"Yeah, that too"

| PRESENT |

FEBRUARY 22nd, 2014

Nick was on his desk so early in the morning. These past days he had not been able to sleep more than he would like to. With all the work they'd been having, the normal thing would be him falling asleep as soon as his head touches the pillow, but that has not happened.

That morning, after trying to go back to sleep for the third time, he decided to get up and start his day way more earlier than usual, and that was how he ended up in his desk an hour before his shift started.

His head had been in his paperwork for the past forty-five minutes but it only took him one look at the new detective's desk and his head started to ache. Maybe it was because of the lack of sleep, or all the words he's been reading, or the uncomfortable situation he had with Janis and the turbulent divorce he was having, but most likely it was everything.

Nick heard footsteps when he was pouring a glass of water to take a pill and when he looked back, he saw Janis in her desk, urgently looking for something in her purse. It didn't take her long to turn around and see him.

"Oh, I thought I was the first one to arrive," She said, walking to him to grab a cup.

She looked different; maybe anxious, like she was about to lose control over herself. Nick even noticed how her hands were shaking.

"Are you okay?" Nick asked her when he saw her taking a pill to her mouth. She nodded, drinking a sip of water as she walked back to her desk.

"Yeah, just a headache" Janis said, brushing it off and sitting in her desk to turn her laptop on.

Forgetting about taking his own pill, Nick observed her for a few more moments. There was something different in her, but he wasn't quite sure what it was, and something inside made him feel she wasn't like that because they were alone.

"What?" Janis asked when she noticed Nick's eyes on her. Her attention was still on the screen of the computer.

"Nothing" Nick shook his head, but stopped when he was about to go to his desk "Actually, I just want to..."

"Look, everything's fine, okay?" She interrupted him, looking up at him "What happened between you and I is in the past, let's just concentrate in the present"

Nick stood there and nodded after a couple of seconds. He wasn't going to say anything about that, but he decided it was better to not ask anything else.

"Morning" Captain Cragen said when he was close enough to them "Janis, I need you and Carisi to go to Mercy... you're the only ones in here?" He asked when he saw all the empty desks. Janis and Nick nodded "Fine. Amaro, go with her"