CHAPTER 09

MERCREDI 01:30

Chaeyoung woke up in the middle of the night. She was alone in the warm room. The rain did not stopㅡcreating a loud sound on the roof. She heard voices outside the chamber.

"Hurry. We should brush this water off the ground before it sneaks to the room." One of the men-servants said outside the room. There are three of them.

The storm was so strong that the water flooded the steps.

They brush off the flood thoroughly and mapped the floor. After cleaning, they sit on the steps to rest a bit.

"I can't believe it's happening again." One of the men-servants said as they watch the heavy rain. "The storm is scary. When did the last strongest storm happen again? I'm getting old to even remember it."

"Did you mean that storm five years ago that affected the green tea farm?" He shook his head. "It was a big loss. Hundreds of green tea plants were swept by the storm."

"Right. I remember it now. I'm definite that there will be damage again in the field tomorrow."

"That is expected to happen when a storm breaksㅡAh, I remember something. This is like dejavu, I got goosebumps."

"What is it?"

"Do you guys remember that mermaid that one of the fishing ship's net caught five years agoㅡwhile retreating to the port?"

"Oh, that lady they called mermaid because of her mermaid-like beauty? Yeah, she looks like a Goddess of the seas."

"Did she return to where she came from? I haven't heard gossips about her after a week that year."

"No, she was here all this time. My brother works in the Son family recently, right? And I heard that the mermaid lady was in a coma for four years but no one else knows about it."

"Are you sure about that news? As I heard, her family came to get her."

"Doctor Son orchestrates that news to avoid gossipsㅡbut the truth, she keeps the mermaid lady in her private center in the house. She had fallen for the mermaid ladyㅡthinking it was Heiwa, her dead lover who got swallowed by the sea."

"Doctor Son has gone crazy, eh?"

"Surely. But the mermaid girl acknowledges the doctor. They're living happily like a spouse: as what my brother seesㅡ"

The door thud open that startled the men-servants.

"What is the name of this doctor?!" Chaeyoung exhorted: hands supporting on door frames: sweats dripping and heavy breathes.

Chaeyoung heard it all. Their chatters are louder than the rainㅡforgetting that someone was sleeping inside the chamber.

"M-Miss Moon?"

The men-servants raised and bows.

"We apologized if we talked loudly and disturb your rest."

Chaeyoung just stared: waiting for the answer.

"Are you alright, Miss Moon? Do you need anything?"

"Please, answer my question..." Her voices sounded weak. The fever rises within her.

The men-servants glanced at each other and one of them answer: "Son Wendy."

MERCREDI 04:25

Courtney was sleeping with her grandparents to not disturb Chaeyoung's rest.

Mumbling: "Can she sleep when the rain this loud? It won't scare her right?"

Waking from sleep, Courtney can't bring herself to sleep againㅡcan not stop worrying about Chaeyoung knowing that she gets nightmare sometimes.

"Is she warm enough? The cold was penetrating the walls."

The wind is strong. The rain is icy-cold. It will freeze someone to death if stayed outside for a long time.

Courtney slowly raised not to disturb the elders sleeping. "I won't disturb her rest." She mumbled. "Just a quick peek to ease my heart."

Badly want to check the lady: Courtney went to Chaeyoung's room. Despite the heavy rain, she crossed over to her chamber.

However, when she got thereㅡthe door was open. Courtney's heart sunk. "Oh, please, no."

Chaeyoung is gone again.