eight || "Cheers To The Beautiful Family."

this song + driving + cute boy=😍😍😍

➳♥

Summer's POV

We had gotten on the road at around seven-thirty in the morning. It was two hours and some change to drive from Delaware to New Jersey and Devon wanted to try and beat traffic.

I stared out the window watching everything pass me by. I felt indifferent every time I returned to my hometown. I didn't talk to many people I went to high school with due to us all growing apart.

Of course, there was always the occasional "How are you?" texts every six months, but the conversations were dead before they even started.

"Thanks again for coming with me Summer." He reached his hand out grabbing my thigh, butterflies immediately filling my stomach.

"Of course. I wouldn't want you to have to do this on your own."

His hand strayed from its original location, finding its way farther up my leg. I adjusted myself in my seat, parting my thighs giving him more access.

"Summer." He sang out my name. "You're killing me." He gave me a tight squeeze before taking my hand in his. I had been seeing a different side of Devon lately. He was going out less, and he'd completely cut out spending time with other girls. He was showing me that he had the capacity to take this thing between us seriously.

"What are you thinking about?" He lifted up my hand, placing kisses up my arm.

"How excited I am to see Simon." Simon was my two-year-old golden retriever. My mom updated me with pictures of him every day but they only made me miss him more.

"Didn't he have an ear infection or something? How's that?"

I had told him that in passing a few weeks ago, I was surprised he remembered.

"He's fine now, he had to have drops put in his ear twice a day for two weeks."

"Oh good. How about your parents, they excited to see you?" I blew air out of my cheeks, "No, they're actually more excited to see you." His face lit up instantly. "I can't wait for that welcome home dinner at the Nolans. Victoria always makes my favorites when I'm over." He lifted his eyebrows laughing to himself.

"Could you stop calling my mom Victoria? It's weird."

Once we had both turned eighteen my parents told him he could call them by their first names. I didn't understand it but Devon seemed to love it.

"Never. I earned that right, I won't let you take it away from me."

He glanced at me before turning his attention back to the road, "whatever, how far are we?" I yawned while I spoke, "if you're tired take a nap, we got an hour and thirty minutes left."

Turning my phone on do not disturb, I lowered the back of my seat shifting around trying to find a comfortable position to lie in. Once I had found one, it didn't take long before I drifted off to sleep.

       ...

I was awoken by the sound of repeated barking. I glanced out the window, immediately familiarizing myself with my surroundings.

I was finally home.

When I stepped out of the car I was greeted to Devon sitting on the grass playing with Simon, and talking to my parents.